Chapter 6: Providence (Part 2)

Next day, October 19, 2009

Hana's POV

Light filtered in through the windows as I opened my eyes, making sure to not make too many noises as I didn't want to wake up the sleeping form next to me. I recalled what happened last night. After I was offered a spot in HOMRA, Anna and I took one of the empty rooms in Izumo's bar. At first, we were going to have separate rooms, but when I saw the look on Anna's face, I immediately decided against having her be alone.

It's not like I'm going to stay here long, right?

Anna had been through so much, so I wasn't surprised that she fell asleep almost instantaneously when we got settled in bed. Pepper had gone off in the night, presumably to go hunting or have some free time to herself. I don't own her, she's the one who chose to stay near, so I don't control her actions. Neither do I see her as a pet.

I see Pepper as an equal, a friend, a being that is just as intelligent as a human and who should be treated with respect.

According to my phone, it's 9 in the morning. I guess I'll make breakfast.

I brushed my teeth with a toothbrush Izumo gave me and crept downstairs to use the kitchen.

Sorry Izumo, I'm going to be borrowing your kitchen. I gave a silent prayed that he wouldn't murder me for touching his kitchen.

*45 Minutes Later*

As I'm placing the food down on the table, there's enough to feed a medium-sized family, I hear Anna walking down the stairs.

"Ohayo, Anna."

"Ohayo." She rubs her eyes sleepily.

I let her know that I'm going to wake Mikoto up as she clambers onto a bar stool. He's gotta eat breakfast sooner or later. Better warm than cold.

I walk back up the stairs and knock on the first door. He doesn't answer the second or the third knock either.

"I'm coming in Mikoto!" I say as I push open the door.

Mikoto's room is dark and I find him lying on his back, sleeping soundly. The door is left open as I make my way into the room.

I reach for his shoulder to shake his shoulder, "Miko-"

My voice cuts off as his hand darts out and grabs my wrist. It's not painful, but it is a pretty solid grip.

"Oh, it's just you." He lets go and lays his arm on his forehead, as if by blocking me out of sight I'm going to disappear and he can go back to sleep.

Ha. I have two brothers, I know all of the tricks these boys throw at me. I crouch down by the bed and encourage him to get up again, he's been sleeping longer than Anna and I! "Come on Mikoto, I made some breakfast."

No response.

Okay. Fine. Wanna play it that way? "Hm, guess me and Anna will just finish off all the toast and eggs. There'll be none left when we're done with it."

I expected him to bolt right up, as my brothers would have done. But instead, he groaned and shifted his weight so he was now lying on his right side, facing away from me.

How stubborn. Okay, plan C.

I walk out of the room and down the stairs. When I enter the kitchen, Anna looks at me expectantly because she had been waiting for Mikoto before we begin breakfast. I shake my head to her unvoiced question.

Disappointment appears on her face, so I place a gently hand on her head and ask, "Why don't you try waking him up? If you say please I'm sure he'll join us for breakfast."