Arc 5.22 Empress of Four Kingdoms

The two princes only accompanied Hua Shen and Li Feifei as far as the palace gates before returning to their own residences within the capital. They needed their rest after managing for three weeks straight without rest, the aftermath of Hua Shen's coup and his tyrannical court management.

Before they left, Hua Tishen did not forget to drop in a small notice with a wink, "The Empress Dowager has invited some guests and is currently attending to them at her palace."

This was to inadvertently alert Li Feifei of the Empress Dowager's dissatisfaction with herself. There was also the hidden message that the Empress Dowager had been busying herself while Hua Shen was not around to continue pruning her wings.

Normally, Hua Shen would be more than capable enough to get rid of the Empress Dowager and simultaneously maintaining his image, but he was preoccupied with the news Zero constantly brought to him about Li Feifei's antics. However, now that he was back with the naughty wife in his arms he no longer had to worry about anything else.

There were two main reasons the entourage had to step inside the palace. Obviously, Hua Shen was the Emperor. The palace was his home and he had left the throne empty for over three weeks.

The second reason was that as the newly crowned Empress and the only member of the harem for the rest of this dynasty, Li Feifei had to greet the Empress Dowager.

Everything was rather anti-climactic. There was no dramatic scene of imperial guards lining up to greet the Emperor, nor was there any special fanfare with drums, music, and whatnot. In fact, it was entirely empty with only the occasional guards making their rounds around the palace. The only person that was required to lead them into the palace was Zero, who was the head eunuch and Hua Shen's personal eunuch, so even the palace maids and eunuchs were relatively scarce in comparison to Li Kingdom's palace.

It wasn't surprising as Hua Shen was completely independent and having others doing the work for him would only slow him down.

When they arrived at the expansive and lavishly designed palace belonging to the Empress Dowager, the Empress Dowager was sitting with three young, female guests. They were laughing pleasantly in the room. The laughter was so sweet and enchanting that Li Feifei's ears felt as if they'd been tickled.

Hua Shen did not miss her reaction, and his face abruptly darkened. His brows furrowed slightly, and a frown was tugging down on his thin lips as his hands tightened their grip on Li Feifei's in resentment, causing Li Feifei to laugh mirthfully before consolingly rubbing her thumb on the back of his hand. Her efforts proved to be successful as Hua Shen noticeably relaxed.

When Hua Shen and Li Feifei entered, the three girls immediately stood and bowed their heads with red faces. After all, Hua Shen was the most handsome man they'd ever seen, and they were the same age as he was.

"Greetings to His Majesty, the Emperor! Greetings to Her Majesty, the Empress!"

At this point in time, Li Feifei planned to stick around to see how much this group of four could amuse her.

No one in this kingdom knew the original Li Feifei, so OOC was not a possibility and both she and Hua Shen didn't give a damn about showing filial piety to a two-dimensional Empress Dowager. The only other people who knew her were her four maidservants, which she had ordered to wait for her at her new Empress's Palace. Long Zheng was in Hua for a variety of reasons; he had been sent away to consult with the other renown generals of Hua.

Then again, Long Zheng never knew the original Li Feifei either. The only Li Feifei he knew was the current Li Feifei.

"Please sit," Li Feifei's melodious voice resounded softly throughout the palace hall, causing the unprepared girls and the Empress Dowager to freeze in astonishment before quickly recomposing themselves.