Arc 5.24 Empress of Four Kingdoms

A/N: SPONSORED CHAPTER 1/4 BY DEAREST @Jade_Lily_Dragon!

Arc 5.24 Empress of Four Kingdoms

The shadows, of course, were the shadow guards and spies of the emissaries from the Shi and Zhao kingdoms.

Ever since their cooperative partner, the Empress Dowager, had unexpectedly and suspiciously departed from this world, the emissaries felt wary. Thus, they did not allow their daughters to leave their temporary residences and sent out spies to gather information on the current Emperor of Hua's plans and intentions for the future.

When they received the news that the arrogant young Emperor wanted to conquer and unite all of the kingdoms under the Heavens, they were furious at the sheer audacity of Hua! At the same time, they couldn't help but feel apprehensive. After all, if it were just the new regime of the Hua kingdom, the two kingdoms would still be able to cope with the situation quite easily.

However, that very same Emperor had recently taken in the princess of Li as his Empress! This meant that the militaristic Hua kingdom was not the only one they had to defend against! If anything, both Hua and Li had more than enough power to destroy the trade and art-oriented kingdoms in no time!

This was the conclusion that both the Navy commander from Zhao, Lu Jun and Shi's prime minister, Fen Ming, had come to after receiving the message from their respective forces.

After sending their respective messengers back to their home kingdoms to warn their rulers, the two ambassadors had tacitly agreed to meet up in order to discuss countermeasures for the oncoming war of conquest. As their residences were arranged to be relatively near the other, it didn't take much effort to gather in Lu Jun's manor. After all, Lu Jun was a Navy commander, so his room had a standard map of the continent that was distributed to the Zhao kingdom's army.

Since their talks would be over countermeasures, then a map was a necessary visual. If they could, both of the men would have preferred to have returned along with their daughters to their kingdoms to personally alert their people. However, it didn't take a genius to know that their every movement were being watched. In fact, they weren't even confident that their messengers would be able to finish the job.

Their uncertainties were within reason. Hua Shen and Li Feifei were not fools nor were they planning to draw out this main mission of theirs. The moment the ambassadors' messengers stepped foot outside of the gates of Hua, they were immediately disposed of and replaced by Hua Shen's men.

They were instructed to mislead the two kingdoms by telling them that Hua would be sending important persons as ambassadors to the Zhao kingdom, while Li would send some to Shi in order to express their "equity" since the former two had already extended their hands to Hua.

At the same time, Li Feifei was responsible for sending one of her maidservants back to Li to let Li Yun take care of their side's part of the scheme. Truthfully, Li Yun did not have to send anyone, since Long Zheng had taken up the role of Li's important ambassador at the enthusiastic recommendation by Hua Shen.

Hua Shen had even offered the aid of his three generals, as he and his baby were enough to take care of a measly Zhao kingdom. The only things they had to be careful of were possible hosts that had transmigrated into the other two kingdoms.

As this world was a Level 3 World, only veterans or exceptional hosts would be roaming these lands alongside them, if any. Therefore, it was too risky to rely on the original residents to conquer the kingdoms, even if those kingdoms were not battle-oriented. That was the power of hosts—the power to reverse the tides at any moment they could.

Of course, there was a higher chance that Li Feifei and Hua Shen were the only hosts in this world since the total number of remaining hosts in the competition was only a little over seventy. However, it was always better to minimize losses, so both of them wanted to be prepared to strike both countries with no room for retreat and struggle.