Chapter 79: The Confrontation

*Jackson's P.O.V*

"Hey Vanilla Bean... Just calling to uh...check in on you," I frown at the massive storm outside. I'm lucky the road's narrow or else i'd probably be dead by now.

"It's been an eventful couple of hours for me. Zara said she called but you didn't pick up and normally I would be panicking right now but...your car has a tracker and a camera so i'm watching you sleep right now...kind of..."

Not creepy at all.

  I notice two figures in raincoats run across the street into the forest, finally. I stop the car, pulling over to the side of the road —let's hope it doesn't get stuck in the mud. 

  I need to chase after them quickly.

"Anyways um...I love you. Bye" saying the L word is a big deal but it almost felt like an impulse this time. I've said it before but she wasn't sure...now she knows. 

   She knows I love her.

My phone rings and although it's private, I know who it is.

  "Hey son," Vito's raspy voice speaks on the line. " You just gonna sit in your car all night?"

I left my phone in the car, so Aiden can find it and walk into the forest. 

I hope this plan works.

Although it's after 8 pm it's still bright outside. I try to avoid stepping in the mud but that's like trying to avoid water in the rain. A branch snaps behind me and suddenly i'm surrounded by six men all wearing black coats like me, their face hidden.

" An intervention so soon?" I say trying to buy some time and assess the enemy.

Another figure appears from behind a tree. " Where's the girl, son?"

"Why'd you let Mom die, Dad?" I asked since we're playing twenty questions.

  His face turns sour. "Ah...so you know huh? that must mean they've inaugurated you"

  Any moment now.

"Perhaps" I shrug. The rain gets heavier.

" Just so we're clear, your Mom was my everything...just like that brat seems to be for you. I won't let you make the same mistake son," He nudges the man to his left. "Kill him"

" Not without a fight you won't!" 

I grabbed the arm of  the guy closet to me and kicked his knee at full force, breaking his leg completely. Someone grabbed me from behind and I threw my head back against his before knocking him unconscious with the flashlight I thought I wouldn't need. Another guy approached me from the side and I turned right into the sharp object he was holding. A knife? The pain was sudden and I fell to my knees. For a split second Ashley's image flashed into my mind before I stared up at the rain, then blackness.

~

*Ashley's P.O.V*

I woke up to a hundred choreographed footsteps above me and cold sweats.