𝐗𝐈𝐕. SNAPE TAKES OVER

CHAPTER FOURTEENSNAPE TAKES OVER

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
SNAPE TAKES OVER

§ § §

Harry and I slowed down as we reached the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. "Sorry we're late, Professor Lupin, we-" Harry started but quickly stopped.

It wasn't Professor Lupin standing in the doorway, it was Professor Snape. "You're both ten minutes late to class, Potters. That'll be ten points from Gryffindor. Sit down." He said sternly. We both stayed standing. "Where's Lupin?" Harry asked Snape.

"He says he's feeling too ill to teach today. I believe I told you both to sit down?" Snape answered eerily.

But Harry and I stood standing. "What's wrong with him?" I eyed Snape.

"Nothing life-threatening," Snape answered, seeming as though he wish it were. "Five more points from Gryffindor. If I have to ask you to sit down one more time, it'll be fifty."

After that, Harry and I slowly walked to our seats. I was lucky I was in Snape's house, because he never took points off of me.

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted, Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far-"

"Please, sir, we've done boggarts, Red Caps, kappas, and grindylows," Hermione added quickly, "and we're just about to start-"

"Be quiet," said Snape coldly. "I did not ask for information. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization."

"He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had," said Dean Thomas boldly, and there was a murmur of agreement from the rest of the class. I nodded. Snape looked more menacing than ever.

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you. I would expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps and grindylows. Today we shall discuss-"

I watched him flick through the textbook, to the very back chapter, which he must know we hadn't covered.

"Werewolves."

"But, sir," said Hermione, seemingly unable to restrain herself, "we're not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start hinkypunks --"

"Miss Granger," Snape spoke ,in a voice of deadly calm, "I was under the impression that I am teaching this lesson, not you. And I am telling you all to turn to page 394." He glanced around again. "All of you! Now!"

With many bitter sidelong looks and some sullen muttering, the class opened their books.
I tried tapping Draco's shoulder, but he ignored me. I think he was still a little upset from me not going with him to Hogsmeade.

"Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?" Snape asked. I knew, but didn't raise my hand.

Everyone else sat in motionless silence; everyone except Hermione, whose hand, as it so often did, had shot straight into the air.

"Anyone?" Snape, ignoring Hermione, turned. His twisted scowl was back. "Are you telling me that Professor Lupin hasn't even taught you the basic distinction between-"

"We told you,"Parvati spat suddenly, "we haven't got as far as werewolves yet, we're still on-"

"Silence!" snarled the Professor. "Well, well, well, I never thought I'd meet a third-year class who wouldn't even recognize a werewolf when they saw one. I shall make a point of informing Professor Dumbledore how very behind you all are...."

"Please, sir," Hermione, whose hand was still in the air, spoke. "The werewolf differs from the true wolf in several small ways. The snout of the werewolf -"

"That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger," Snape replied coolly. "Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all."

Hermione went very red, put down her hand, and stared at the floor with her eyes full of tears. I glared angrily at the Potions professor.

There was a silent agreement of how much the rest of the class loathed Snape that they were all glaring at him, because every one of them had called Hermione a know-it-all at least once, and Ron, who told Hermione she was a know-it-all at least twice a week, said loudly, "You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?"

The class instantly knew he had gone too far, but I fought the urge to grin when he defended her. "Detention, Weasley," Snape growled, his face very close to Ron's. "And if I ever hear you criticize the way I teach a class again, you will be very sorry indeed."

No one made a sound throughout the rest of the lesson. We sat and made notes on werewolves from the textbook, while Snape prowled up and down the rows of desks, examining the work we had been doing with Professor Lupin.

"Very poorly explained... That is incorrect, the kappa is more commonly found in Mongolia.... Professor Lupin gave this eight out of ten? I wouldn't have given it three...."

When the bell rang at last, Snape held us back. 

"You will each write an essay, to be handed in to me, on the ways you recognize and kill werewolves." I looked up, concerned. " I want two rolls of parchment or, the subject, and I want them by Monday morning. It is time somebody took this class in hand. Weasley, stay behind, we need to arrange your detention."

As we were leaving the classroom I squeezed Ron's shoulder and gave him a sympathetic smile.