Why PETA Isn't What You Think

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I don't support PETA. I support the vast majority of their goals and I support their philosophy, but there is a dark secret to PETA that many people don't know about. They kill.

One of the most famous cases of PETA killing animals was the case of Maya, a dog who was stolen and killed by PETA workers. Maya was a chihuahua who was the companion of a little girl

She was taken from her home while unattended and taken to a PETA shelter, where she was euthanized before the state law's required five-day grace period

She was taken from her home while unattended and taken to a PETA shelter, where she was euthanized before the state law's required five-day grace period. PETA apologized for killing Maya and paid the family money, but nothing can bring her back.

But the main problem is PETA's stance on euthanization in general. Over a 12 year period, PETA killed 31,250 animals. Their reasoning is that it's better to concentrate on spaying and neutering animals than saving the ones already born, and states that the animals they kill can't be adopted. However, they go beyond just killing aggressive or sick animals. In 2011, they killed 713 out of 760 dogs, 1,198 out of 1,211 cats, and 54 out of 58 other animals. They had a 2.5 percent adoption rate for dogs and a 0.4 percent adoption rate for cats. A PETA spokesperson said, "Euthanasia is a product of love for animals who have no one to love them." As if all of those animals couldn't have gone to good homes. Euthanizing animals who are suffering from illness is an act of mercy, but there is no way that all of the animals PETA killed couldn't go to good homes.

PETA also has bad tactics. They use sexism and objectify women in their advertising, using sexual and objectifying imagery to try to get people interested in veganism, which, in all honesty, doesn't work. The exploitation of one group to free another is a terrible idea. They have compared the AKC to the KKK. While the ideology behind pure-bred dogs being superior isn't good, it is not comparable to the KKK. Mixed-breed dogs are not lynched and attacked by the AKC. 

They have also published misleading information, in the most notable case jumping on the anti-vaxxing autism scare bandwagon by attempting to tie drinking milk to children developing autism. Their claims related to unreliable studies that weren't even concluding that milk was linked to autism, and were just a form of fearmongering that wasn't necessary. There is plenty of other evidence for milk being harmful, as discussed in this book's article "The Truth About Milk." Spreading lies is unnecessary.

Just because PETA's message is a good one doesn't mean the organization is a good one. There are better organizations out there, and because of PETA's shady tactics I do not support it.