35. Check ups and Trackings

Happy had driven Peter home and I started doing my homework. The one thing I didn't like about high school. When I was homeschooled I never had to do homework or write papers, I was too busy for that. But now that I wasn't allowed to protect the world I had enough time to write about the French Revolution. 

When I was done I decided to search the interwebs, looking for articles on the fight we had had in Germany. I found a bunch of stuff about the Sokovia Accords, but nothing about the fight at the airport. However, it was known that some of the Avengers had broken the rules and were doing their time in prison. They hadn't told the press Steve had broken them out. 

I looked up from my computer when I heard someone yell my name " Odette?!" It was dad. I ran to the living room to hug him. He had only been gone for a few days, but I had missed him. He had gotten a tan I was jealous of. I never tanned, not even when I was in Hawaii and lay on the beach all day, all I did was burn. 

He looked down at his watch " 1 pm, time for the check up." he noted. I hated the check ups. We had to drive to the CIA base that was hidden in a normal police office, and make sure we weren't seen by any paparazzi.

So we drove to Manhattan and got out of the car in disguise. I was just wearing a cap and sunglasses, while dad had to use all that and a fake mustache. 

Of course Everett Ross was present, he was a nice guy, the nicer one of the two Rosses. I signed the paper that I had been there and that Ross had seen that I was there and we could leave again, it really was a stupid way of checking up on people.

On Monday Happy drove me to school again and immediately started questioning me about Peter. " How does he know?" he asked. He was looking at me through the mirror. 

" He just found out while I was saving his ass." 

" He just found out?" he asked now wanting to know how he had found out. 

" He may have recognized my voice." I said. 

" You did the ' noooh' didn't you?" he now asked with an amused smile on his face. He had heard me say it millions of times. 

" Yes." I rolled my eyes at him. 

" You have to be more careful with that O." he told me " Before you know it you can't deny it to anyone and you pull off an 'I am Iron Man.'" 

I laughed " Oh please, I'm not that stupid, and besides it's just Peter, he's Spider-Man." 

He dropped me off and drove back to the facility.

The day went by smooth, the classes were as always boring, but at least at lunch I could sit with my friends. Liz and I were talking about the trip to D.C. when Ned suddenly asked " Hey O, where did you go Saturday?" Shit, he had noticed. 

" Oh, I had to go home, my cat was sick." I lied. I didn't even have a cat. 

" Is he okay now?" Liz asked worried. 

I smiled " Yeah he's better." I saw the amusement in Peter's eyes, he was the only one who knew I didn't really have a cat. 

" What's he called?" Michelle suddenly asked. She hadn't said a word the whole lunch and had just been reading her book, it was like she knew I was lying. 

" Pumba." I lied. Did I really just name my non existent cat after a wardhogg? 

After lunch while they went to their classes and I to mine Peter catched up to me. " Hey." he said walking beside me. 

" What's up?" I asked him. 

" Nothing, I just wanted to give you back the pyjamas." he said handing them to me.

" You can keep them if you want." I told him handing them back. 

" Really?" he asked amazed. 

" Sure, it's not like Steve's gonna miss them." I laughed. 

" Thanks, that's so cool." he smiled. I could see the excitement in his eyes, I didn't know he liked Captain America that much.

The rest of the week went by without any ups or downs. Until Thursday, when Peter walked up to me in the hall before last period. 

 "What's wrong?" I asked him, he looked worried. 

" Those guys from a few days ago, who were selling those weapons. They were here." He whispered making sure no one else could hear him. 

" What? How?" I asked confused, they didn't know it was Peter in the suit. 

" I may have taken something from them." Peter confessed. He what? 

" What?! Why would you do that?" I asked him annoyed. 

" I wanted to know what they were selling." he defended himself. 

" And do you know?" I asked. 

" Not exactly but-" 

"Do you have it with you?" I interrupted him. 

He got it out of his backpack and handed it to me. It was a purple glowing piece. I recognized it immediately, It took me straight back to New York, the moment I was blasting aliens. " Peter," I said worried. 

" Yeah?" he asked. I quickly an carefully handed it back to him, not wanting to be reminded of that awful day. 

" That's part of a chitauri weapon, they're selling alien weapons." He looked at the purple piece in his hand in amazement. " Don't look at it like that." I said while slapping his shoulder " We need to find these guys." 

 " I put a tracker on them," he smiled proudly. For once he knew what he was doing. 

" And where are they?" I asked now wanting to know more. 

" Ned and I tracked them down to DC." 

" You dragged Ned into this?!" I asked accusingly.

" He wanted to help." he defended his choice. 

I slapped him on his shoulder again " They are dangerous Peter." 

" That's why we need to take them down."

That night dad asked me what I was most excited about to see in DC. " The Smithsonian Air and Space museum." I said taking a bite of my pizza. He knew I was talking about Steve's exhibit. 

" You sure you don't want to visit something more interesting?" he asked. 

" I'm not only going for Steve dad, grandpa's in there too." He clearly hadn't thought about that. I wanted to know more about the famous Howard Stark, the genius of his time. And more about Peggy as well. And maybe I also wanted to read about Bucky before his life had gone to chaos.