Chapter 5 : A Lie

Chapter 5

Things were tense. I had barely seen Rhyan for over three weeks and it was starting to drain on my wolf being separated from his family. It is extremely stressful for a wolf to be separated from his pack and to me, my brother was the centre of my pack.

I watched Rhyan walk home with a group of she-wolves yet again, quietly playing in the grass outside the Alpha's house with Tommy. This had now become his ritual every day. I was a forgotten thought.

I drew my attention back to Tommy as they disappeared into the mass of wolves chattering around the fire, his big baby blue eyes watching wide with wonder as a yellow butterfly landed on top of a yellow dandelion.

''Butterfly.'' I coached him gently as he repeated the word back to me like it was the most important word of his life before smiling back at the fluttering little insect.

''...you want to choose yourself or should I have someone appointed?'' Voices were vaguely coming into ear range behind me as doors shut quietly.

''He will do.'' The voice was at my back suddenly, my eyes turning to meet the dark green eyes that belonged to the foreign Alpha.

Alpha Leon stared down at me almost sadly for a moment before schooling his features and nodding to the Alpha.

What was going on?

''Eevee, he's scary.'' Tommy whispered into my ear and hid his face away from the man in front of us.

My head rested above his soft head and held him close as the Alpha stepped beside me and down the stairs to continue his travels out of our land and back to his.

''I have to talk to your parents.'' Alpha Leon cleared his throat and rubbed his face etched in stress.

''Why?'' This conversation was becoming suspicious and I didn't like it not one bit.

''You'll be sixteen shortly Evan. It's time you found a mate.'' He walked back into the house tiredly as my face contorted into horror.

I was being mated off to the other pack.

It wasn't uncommon for this to happen. Matter of fact it was exactly how you formed bonds and alliances between different packs all over the world.

My eyes were mindlessly staring at the dirt in front of me as I heard the faint erratic buzzing of a childish voice before Tommy was being pulled from my lap with distress.

I knocked the Luna out of the way as I shot up and ran for my house, her echoes of protest but a faint voice in the back of my mind.

I searched aimlessly for Rhyan. He'd be able to help me think about this and piece together what was happening. My mind couldn't process it right now I just needed...comfort.

I came to a stop when I heard his laugh.

He was standing at the top of the diving cliff laughing along with a bunch of she wolves before he wrapped his hands around the waist of one and jumped off the cliff together with her, all the teens at the top of the cliff choking on laughter as the girl screamed and latched onto Rhyan until a splash landed them in the river below.

When they came up for air they started splashing each other, the girl screeching in excitement as the others joined them jumping off the cliff and enjoying the fun.

Branches and twigs broke under my foot as I stepped back and made my way away from the scene, a small smile tugging lightly at my cheeks as my heart stuttered and clenched.

I was genuinely happy for Rhyan having fun and being with his friends. My new arising situation just sucked to all hell and I needed someone to be with me and it looked like it would not be him as I had hoped. These few weeks had gotten me used to his presence waning but I had never felt the complete loss of him, he was always in the room right next to mine.

But now I felt completely alone.

The crunching of my shoes on the now falling autumn leaves were satisfying, each break in the structure of the leaf sending a satisfying crinkle to my ears as I made it to the front door of my house, ignoring my parents' greetings as I walked up the stairs and to my room.

I sat on the floor beside my bed side table, lazily pulling the paper and paints from their drawer and wetting the brushed before they fell over the page in a messy mass to express my emotions.

I don't know when I fell asleep but I woke up to arms beneath my legs and chest and my body being lifted from the floor, a paintbrush clinking to the floor falling from my lap.

The scent of the pine forest and water from the river told me it was my twin, his familiar musk lulling my sense as I was placed into the softness of the bed now beneath me, the hardwood floors forgotten.

I didn't dare open my eyes, feigning sleep in fear he'd leave me alone again as he brushed the hair from my forehead, his body moving closer to my face until it stopped abruptly. A heavy sigh left his mouth, the breath fanning my forehead until it was gone along with him.

The lost forehead kiss goodnight tore at me but everything tore lately. This, I was now getting used to it as I rolled over and kissed my pillow goodnight, falling back into a deep slumber to dream of a time when things were easier.

Back to a time when my parents didn't hawk over us like circling predators waiting for one of us to slip up and give them reason to separate us. I was terrified that their current outlook on our relationship would give them enough initiative to give the okay to send me to this new pack as their alliance gift.

I loved my parents deeply it would hurt me to leave them also, but it would break me apart to say goodbye to Tommy and of course my younger twin brother.

My mind went quiet as sleep overtook me again, sweet dreams of a future where it was only the ones I loved so deeply in it. A place where nothing could go wrong at all.

A lie.