Chapter 35

"Three may keep a secret, if two
of them are dead."
~ Benjamin Franklin

......

Kai brought me back again. Every time I try to run away from this life, he seems to be right there ready to pull me right back in.

Why?

Why does my life hold so much value to others when it holds no value to me?

"Is he breathing?" Alec glances back at me before focusing his eyes back on the road.

I look down at Kai, his head resting on my thighs, I notice his forehead covered in droplets of water and his parted lips faint in colour. His breath rigid, I can hear him slightly gasping for air.

My arm aching, I examine it spotting the cut.

Blood.

Droplets of blood make a spiral, flowing down my arm. Tracing a droplet, my eyes land on my hand unconsciously still fisted on top of Kai's chest. I bring my fist close to my eyes and open it. A wrinkled piece of paper lays dry on my palm.

Jayce.

My eyes well up with tears. I rip the piece of paper out of my sight by clasping my fingers over it and turning my head towards the window.

The man responsible for all of this is right in front of me suffering in agony. I have the ability to kill him right here and make him pay for everything he has done to me, to Alice, to my parents.

He deserves it Summer.

I look at him.

His pale skin shows no sign of life.

I'm going to kill him.

......

"No, get up! I-I didn't.." mean to kill you, were the words I was looking for, but my lips seal, not being able to say them. I didn't want to kill him, I warned him to stop. He didn't, he said he was going to kill me so I had to fight back.

"Please get up," I beg shaking his body. My hand covered in his blood, traumatizes me further.

"Don't you understand you were made for this?" Nick comes in from the door. "He begged you to stop in the name of his children, he begged you to give him mercy, but it was like you couldn't hear him. Admit it Summer, you were born to be a killer -"

"NO! Y-you made - you made me do this," I whimper.

I killed him.

"You are blood thirsty Summer, just like me."

"NO! I'm nothing like you!" Nick paces over to me and before I know it, the back of his hand makes contact with my cheek. I let out a cry of pain as he pulls my hair to lift my head. My bloodshot eyes make contact with his merciless ones.

"The blood on your hands is there because of your actions. No one told you to fight for your life and once you did, no one told you to kill the man. You did that all by yourself. You might not realize it, but you were made a killer and I will make you realize that no matter how long it takes," he flares. He lets go of my hair and walks out of the room.

My eyes land on the body lying on the floor and I start to sob. Scooting back, I bring my knees up to my chest.

I killed him.

His blood is on my hands.

I'm a killer.

My mind forcing me to believe I'm a monster, I cry helplessly.