Chapter 36

"When I look at you I see forgiveness I see the truth You love me for who I am Like the stars hold the moon Right there where they belong And I know I'm not alone..."
~ Miley Cyrus

......

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if my mother had chosen to abort me.

Would I never be born? Would Alice have had a better life without me? Maybe Vincent wouldn't be as bitter as he is.

All together, would the live's of the others be improved without mine?

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Alec pops his head in from the door. I turn my attention towards him as his body appears and makes its way over to me.

"I'm feeling great," I smile. "I still don't get why I've been put on complete bed rest."

"Well, let's go over the events of the past few days, shall we? So, almost everyday you wake up feeling nauseous, you either eat tons or nothing at all, you have random episodes of dizziness and you've been lacking in the sleep department."

"And that proves what?" I query. Everything he listed is true, but being put on complete bed rest doesn't seem justified to me. Yeah, I've been off lately because of health issues, but it's probably side effects of having water in my lungs.

"You piece the puzzle together. And don't worry, you have plenty of time before Kai comes for a visit."

"What? Why is he coming? And piece what together? Can you stop playing riddles with me?" Alec's sparkling teeth display themselves as his lips stretch on a smile.

"You're so naive sometimes," he chuckles getting up. His fingers curl around the insides of his jacket pulling it around him properly as he heads towards the door.

"You can't just leave without telling me anything, Alec," he doesn't stop. Instead, his shoulders bounce in amusement. "I find nothing humorous in this situation!"

After the door closes, it's followed by a slight click. I can't believe they've locked me inside a room.

Heavily sighing, I cross my arms over my chest annoyed by his behaviour.

What is their problem? One second they're torturing me, making me bleed and beg for mercy while the other, they're saving my life and locking me in a room because I need to take care of myself.

What changed from then and now?

I almost died.

But that's not new. I almost died multiple times, mostly because of them, but they've never treated me like this.

I'm so fucking confused and I'm always one step ahead of them. Maybe it's just a phase they're going through. It'll be over soon, hopefully. I mean, I get bored staying in this room. Yes, I hate baiting and killing people, but I'm craving the the adrenaline rush I get from all of that. It's built into my system. I can feel the same rush by other means, but I can't when I'm hauled up in a small bedroom that's not even mine. Apparently Kai doesn't want me going in my own room because Nick could have left a bug or something dangerous that cannot be spotted.

I let go of any thoughts by grabbing the remote and shuffling through Netflix to find a good movie. Eventually, I decide on watching Friends with Benefits. Trust me when I say, I'm not into Valentine's, but considering it's been almost eighteen years, I can learn to loosen up and get in the spirit of it.

In fourteen days, it'll be eighteen years of my life and eighteen years since the death of my mother, Hope White. Just like her name, that's what she has given me, hope. Even without being here, she's given me more hope than anyone else ever has. She's the only reason why I fight for what I believe in and what I want. Whether that's deemed right or wrong in the eyes of others, I do what I know in the end will be best for the majority of people.