Chapter 45

"A mother's greatest masterpiece is her children."
~ Unknown

......

I wake up to a lightly painted ceiling and the constant beeping of a machine. Lifting my right hand, I pull the oxygen mask off of me.

Helping myself up, as soon as I crane my neck, a string of pain travels from my collarbone down to my left arm. Leaning on the elbow of my left arm, I stay in that position until the pain subsides.

Without much movement, my eyes travel around the area and I remember this as the hospital room in my house. In a slow and steady pace, I move up and sit on the bed.

I pull out the wires connected to me and one of the machines starts to make a loud and annoying sound. I cover my ears in panic and hope for the sound to go away. A few seconds later, it simmers down.

The pain in my body slows me down, but I climb off the bed and suck in a sharp breath.

Come on, Summer.

Exhaling, I walk over to the cupboard and look for clothes. As soon as I find a pair of sweats and an extra large t-shirt, I grab it and head to the bathroom.

Changing, I realize that these clothes are probably one of my brother's. They're way too big on me, but since I like wearing big clothes, they suit me pretty well.

When I look myself in the mirror, I look at all the bandages covering my body.

Thanks, Dean.

I roll my eyes, but what was I expecting? To return home and have them throw me a welcome home party? Hell no. I'd be stupid if I thought that would ever happen. I'm actually very lucky that I'm still alive.

Once I clean up a bit, I head out. Instead of walking like a normal human being, I tend to walk by lifting my hip and then my leg.

As I walk through the hospital wing, I pop my head into every room hoping that Kai and Alec might be in one of them. If not in one of the hospital rooms, I hope that they're somewhere else besides the basement.

When I don't find them in any of the rooms, I decide that it's better to check in the basement than refuse to believe the worse. Making my way through the house, I wanna think of all the memories linked to this place, but my mind runs away from any sort of thoughts related to that.

I think that I'm scared that the time here won't last as long as I want it to. I'm afraid that it'll all be ripped away and I don't want to feel the pain when it is.

It takes me longer than I'd like, for me to reach the basement. Taking small steps, I grow impatient and mentally curse at myself. As I approach the stairs descending down, I hold onto the railing and go down.

There's guards stationed on each floor, but I guess they know who I am, so I'm not stopped or even questioned about where I'm headed or what my intentions are.

My feet land on the main floor and I take a deep breath preparing myself for the next flight of stairs to go down to the basement.

This fucking house needs an elevator.

Halfway down the stairs leading to the basement, I start hearing loud groans.

Oh fuck no.

I fasten my pace and jump down on the floor. I immediately regret jumping and it takes me a minute to start walking again. I walk as fast as I can to the main room.

In the middle, I see Kai. His hands tied above him, his toes hardly meet the surface of the ground. I can't get a full view of his body with Vincent disturbing my view, but I can tell that he's shirtless because his shoulder are bare.