Chapter 53

"The best way to not get your heart broken, is to pretend you don't have one."
~ Charlie Sheen

......

Turning on the shower, I let the water run as I undress. My sports bra soaked with sweat and splotches of blood, I throw it to the side with the rest of the clothes I take off.

Stripped down to the last piece of clothing, I enter the shower slowly by letting the steaming water soak my feet first. As I take small steps closer to the water, I breathe heavier. The water cleansing my wounds, burns. I soon forget the pain and stand still under the water as it runs down from my head and travels down my body in streams.

Closing my eyes, the moment that just happened minutes ago replay in my mind.

I remember Kai lying on the floor of the ring. His face bloodied and his chest hardly inflating with air. His eyes barley opened, but I could still see a glint of prosper in his eyes taunting my win.

He wanted me to win and so I did, and I have no doubt that if he had tried any harder than he faked to, he would have won.

I know why he did it. He knew what I'd ask for if I won. I asked to be let back onto missions and like Anthony promised, that request of mine will be fulfilled.

But why would Kai be arrogant enough to lose? If he had won, he could've asked for anything. He could have asked for Luciano or even an out, but he didn't.

Why?

Does he have his own agenda that I should be worried about? What if he's aware of something he shouldn't be? What if he's working with Nick?

"Summer," Alessio fiddles with the doorknob.

"Alex?" I question.

"Summer, open the do-or! I need- I need t-to talk to you," Alex slurs continuing to fiddle with the doorknob.

"Are you drunk?" I question turning off the running water. I grab the towel and quickly dry myself off before securing it tightly around my body.

I unlock the door, and the stench of alcohol blows through the door along with Alessio who I barely catch in my arms.

"Alex!" I shriek holding him up. "Fuck. What did you do, drink the whole fucking bar?"

"No, I'm sorry. I'm sooo sorry," he tries to stand up, but needs to lean on me for support.

"What? Just, okay. Let me get you to bed and we'll talk there, okay?"

"Okay," his eyes drop as I pull his arm around the back of my shoulders and help him to the bed.

I get him to sit down and take a step back. Adjusting my towel higher, I watch as his head drops down tiredly and shoots right back.

"I'm okay! Not drunk!" he tries to stand up, but I push him back down.

"Okay there big guy, I know you're not drunk, but it's time for bed," I start to unbutton his coat. Once his coat is off, I decide to take his shirt off as well, because he usually never sleeps with it on.

As my hands work their way down on each button, halfway down, a drop of water settles down on my hand and I look up. Alex's eyes tinted red, drip with tears.

"Alessio, what's wrong?" I swallow hard pulling my hand away from his shirt and giving him my full attention. I've never seen him so vulnerable and for the first time in forever, my first instinct isn't to figure out a way to use this to my advantage but to help him through it.