Epilogue

"All endings are a chance to rest, to breathe, to reflect on the conclusion of a journey in preparation for a new one."
~ Unknown

......

Taking the shot off the table, I devour it like it's the last one I'll ever take, even though I know it's not.

"Summer?"

I freeze at the sound of the voice, but it finally feels like I'm breathing again.

I turn around.

Dressed in a maroon bomber jacket with a grey t-shirt and black pants, Jayce looks almost the same as the last time I saw him except now he's not supporting any fresh wounds.

Climbing off the seat, I walk over to him. Just as tall as I remember, I tilt my head up as my finger caresses the scar on his left cheekbone.

"You came."

"I did," Jayce replies.

"Fuck."

Bringing my hand down, every horrible thing I've ever done flashes before my eyes consuming my mind.

"You shouldn't have come, this was a mistake. I'm sorry," I turn around walking back to the bar. I drop some cash on the counter before heading out.

"Summer, hold up!" Jayce yells. I don't stop. I keep walking until Jayce finally catches up and grabs my arm bringing me to a stop.

"Jayce, please."

"You know a simple: long time no see, how are you? Would've sufficed."

"I did terrible things, Jayce."

"Oh, I know. I've been watching the news, for the past two years, following Kai's case. I know everything."

"That was Kai's case, Jayce and literally twenty percent of the things he did came up, not even. I didn't have a case."

When he stands there silently examining me, I sigh heavily as my tongue darts out moisturizing my lips.

"Jayce, why'd you come?"

"Because you asked me to. You need me, I know you do. No one flies to a different country for no reason."

He waits for a reply, but I remain silent.

"Okay, if you don't want to talk about it now, why don't we go back to my place and I'll make you some dinner? We can talk about anything and everything you want to then."

"Jayce...-"

"Please, Summer, just dinner."

"Okay."

"Thank you," his lips stretch into a genuine smile. "This way milady."

......

"You're a really good cook, Jayce. That food was amazing," I compliment as I put the dishes away into the sink.

"Thanks, I had to learn how to make my own food when I moved out. Not really in the mood to die of starvation."

"Mm-hm," I reply as I walk around his apartment. I stop in front of a wall littered with pictures of Jayce, his friends and family. Pictures with his parents, his sister, him holding up a trophy, his teammates and more makes me realize that he has a life.

A life that is calm and collected.

Perfected to the way society applauds.

His life is exceptional.