Chapter 11 (Beginnings) Part 2

"Why am I here Gavin?"

"I told you. I want to talk."

"Then start talking and stop wasting my time."

"You know, for someone who claims they've changed, you seem awful comfortable in that chair." I look down and notice my laid-back posture. Arms on either arm rest, slouched, and legs crossed. I didn't even notice. "See, it's part of who you are now."

"I'm not a criminal anymore Gavin. I spent five years shaping myself into a better person. I finished high school, I got a degree, and I'm living with the only person who willing puts up with me." I can't help the small smile that comes to my face. "Now you're trying to undo all of that. Why can't you just let me move on with my life?"

"You know why." He leans forward, resting both his elbows on his desk. "This isn't easy for me Derek. You know you're like a son to me, and I want you to be happy. But I know that girl isn't your happiness."

"That's bull..."

"I know you're afraid of hurting her." He cuts me off. "Your anger problems haven't gotten any better, and we both know there's a history of violence in your family."

"I would never, ever hurt her."

"That's what you say. But the one time your anger goes unchecked, it's all over."

I sigh as I feel my annoyance turning into angers. It pisses me off even more that I'm getting angry in the first place. It's only bringing truth to what he's saying.

"I've told you all this already." Gavin continues. "There's no better place for you than here, and that's why I can't let you go. You don't have to hold back here. You can be yourself and let go here. It's in your best interest to stop fighting this and do the job you were made to do."

I glare at him as I try to keep my anger under control. I refuse to give him the satisfaction of seeing me lose my temper. I'm not the same person as I was and I'll prove that to him, no matter how long it takes.

A knock at the door lessens the tension slightly. Gavin leans back in his chair and tells the person to enter. Jackson walks in wearing the same clothes from yesterday. His dark hair is bit messier than before and faint bags appear under his eyes. He be finishing a shift. He looks at me as he enters, and a small smile appears on his lips. I suddenly get the urge to hit him.

"Hey best friend." He greets me.

"We're not friends a**hole." I reply.

"That reminds me." Gavin says as he extends his palm towards Jackson. Jackson removes a wad of cash from his jacket pocket and hands it to Gavin. "Starting next week, the two of you will be partners."

"Huh?" Jackson and I say at the same time.

"You'll be in charge of working Derek back in." He stands from his desk and walks across the room to a cabinet. "When he's done, he'll be your partner out there." He opens the cabinet and grabs a money counting machine.

"The hell?" Jackson exclaims. "Since when am I dealing with fresh meat? That's Mitch's job." Gavin doesn't respond as he grabs the machine and returns to his seat.

"I don't care whose job it's supposed to be." Gavin replies as he places the money in the machine. "It's your job now. And he's not fresh meat. He was doing this long before you." The money rustles as it's shuffled through the machine. "Besides, you're the only one out there without a partner."