Chapter Sixty-Five "Revelations"

Faith was true to her word, she came to call the next day . . . and the next . . . and the next.  She visited every day for a week, always asking if I would like to return with her to the Winchesters.  I assured her that I was well and that I would not be leaving, not until I had word.  I could tell that she was still worried about me, no matter how many times I confirmed that I was indeed all right.

            Leah was my constant companion, aside from Jasper.  We spent practically every hour of the day together and we did not need to say much.  It was enough that we were there, supporting each other silently.  Every glance was reassurance that Isaac would return and everything would be set to right.

            The lord and lady were not quite on speaking terms, making for tense meetings.  I could tell that Leah was especially anxious during this time, and she needed me just as I needed her.  Lady Edgehill would occasionally smile at me and tell me that everything will be fine, that Thomas always finds his way home.  I wanted to ask her how that would make me feel better, but then I had to give her credit for even trying.  Lord Edgehill, on the other hand, had taken to inviting Leah and I on daily outings to the park to let Alice and Jasper stretch their legs.  That was what he claimed, although I think it was more to get out of the house and away from his wife.  In fact the only times I saw him smile recently were when we were at the park and he taught Alice how to return a ball.  Poor Jasper was still a bit clumsy, but he tried.

            We were well into the second week and no word from Isaac yet.  My daily affirmations of "he'll return" were no longer cheering me.  I spent time leafing through my journals, marveling at the collections of pressed violets I had accumulated.  I felt a new sadness when I realized I hadn't had a new bunch in two weeks and I was unsure if I would ever get another.

            Thursday evening was drawing to a close as the four of us were in the parlor after supper.  The lady remained quiet, tending to her embroidery.  The lord watched as Leah and I were playing with the puppies, trying to get them to sit and stay.  Once Jasper had enough he crawled into my lap and curled up, "Oh, Jasper, are you ready to go 'night?"  With that Alice scampered over to Lord Edgehill, he let his hand hang down over the arm of his chair and he gently rubbed her head before she curled into a ball and closed her eyes.

            "I think I shall head to bed," Leah yawned, "Jasper has the right idea."  I nodded in agreement and moved my puppy into my arms so I could carry him upstairs with me.

            "Goodnight," we said and left the deafening quiet of the parlor.

            I was in my nightgown and brushing out my hair when I heard my name, "Margaret!  Margaret, come down!"  It was Lord Edgehill calling me.  I grabbed my robe and ran into the hallway, Leah following quickly.

            "Sir?" I asked from the top of the staircase. 

            He was pacing at the door, "He's back . . . finally!"  I could see excitement in his eyes.  "I knew he would not be gone long!"

            Leah gave an excited hop and squeezed my arm, I started to frantically pat myself, I was not dressed properly at all, "You're fine," Leah whispered, "he'll just be happy to see you."

            There was a brief knock and the lord opened the door swiftly, "Thomas!" he said clamping his son's shoulder, "what kept you?"

            I could tell by the queer look that Lord Edgehill received that it was not Isaac that he welcomed.  "What are you carrying on about?" Thomas said, a look of disgust on his face, "I've only come for some funds since my arrangement seems to have skipped out on me."  He looked up the stairs at Leah and myself, "And you're still here?"