Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 3/4)

—————

I've been spending days trying to shorten this - aaaaand gave up.

Why cut the finale anyways?  

Just touching up the second half, expect it in LESS THAN 36 hours!

—————

         "So what's the new way you're getting caught?" Phantom said, his voice pressed with a cringe as he saw Káel try and climb up onto a chair just below the hatch with his injured leg. "I can't watch this."

          Káel balanced on one leg, watching the small hook binding the hatch shimmer with an enchantment when his fingers brushed it. "Truvius said these were emergency exits, so maybe we can get to the secret room without Tia seeing us." he replied, muttering insanctious and ordering the hatch to open.

          The fine dust of a shattered spell fell on his face and the hatch swung down, settling a flurry of dust at his feet.

          "Those aren't emergency exits. Zalius' father didn't like the servants walking the same halls as the nobles, so those exist." Phantom replied,  "Probably helped whoever killed him get away too, but they really don't go where you're thinking."

          "They go out of this room without getting caught by Tia, that's where I'm thinking," Káel said, his grin twisted with gritted teeth to hide the pain in his leg. Taking a deep breath he gripped the edge of the opening, veins popping as he tried to lift himself up with one leg and his arm strength. 

          Phantom watched the struggle, still anxious at the wobbling chair Káel was touching with just one tippy toe. "I appreciate your concern for me, but this is just getting a little deflating to watch."

          Káel raised his chin, hoping the extra inch would somehow lift him through the hole. "If Mr. Rudas is a taste test, then the Council isn't getting you-" his voice hitched at the blue wisp floating at his eye level, the strength in his arms flatlining to pull his head out of the opening with a nervous laugh as the wisp followed. "Hey Tia... sorry I just really needed the bathroom and Mr. Rudas locked the door."

          He paled as the wisp welcomed itself into the room, the hairs on his neck rising from the sticky web of fear he'd fallen into. A new surge of fright struck him when the little blue ball popped, bursting into a grinning person who's hollowed eyes glittered with mischief as he let out a little boo. Káel let the fear and relief mix at the sight of Zalius, accepting the spirit's help off the chair while he beheld him without words to speak.

          "Maybe he saw you fly in," Phantom said, downplaying any hope Káel had that he could now summon spirits with simple prayers. 

          Zalius went straight for the door, ignoring Káel's warnings about the locking enchantments lacing it and giving it a small kick. Like a broken machine it obediently cracked open, the rest of the nursing quarters no longer beyond and replaced by three familiar tight grey walls.

          Káel allowed Zalius to coax him inside, the door fading behind his final limping step and another one forming in front of them. The smooth black polish piqued familiarity, the last details of its grainy ashen wood crawling into focus just as Zalius grabbed the handle to open it. There wasn't a second to lose for the spirit, Káel's amazement in seeing the broad polished floor of the secret secret room coming second to urgency as he tugged him out of the room by his wrist.

          Káel let his icy grip lead him, pressing his lips to deal with the rhythmic pain thumping with every step until Zalius stopped him halfway through the room. He worked on getting the branch out of his brace while Zalius walked through the wall to the room filled with the ingredients he'd sorted, a few minutes passing to fuel some concern for Káel that the school had already emptied its contents after Ray gave its existence away to Samanthra.