33 | Fight for This Love

Semaj's POV

Consummating an engagement was easy, but what made it hard was the fact that I had to be to work early in the morning for a seven hour shift. But it was nearing two in the morning and Michael still couldn't seem to keep his hands to himself. I was saved by the vibration of my phone that was charging on the nightstand that had Michael removing his lips from my neck. I was in daze, looking at my phone screen, but was knocked back into reality seeing Simone's name flashing across the screen.

"Hello?"

Her small voice squeaked through the other end of the phone. "Majie? I'm sorry to call but..."

"But what?"

"But..." I heard crashing dishes, a scream from pain, and then my mother and father going back and forth with each other in the background. "But this... I don't know what's going on."

"Are they arguing?" I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"I think Dad cheated on mom, Maj." Simone said through tears, "and then she went into preterm labor but won't go to the hospital."

I had been balancing myself on my elbows, but that had me shooting in an upright position, covering my body with the sheets around me. I looked at Michael with wide eyes and he made a face of confusion.

"Simone. I'm on my way."

Michael and I threw on some clothes, rushing out of the house to go and see what was really going on at my parents house. He was speeding as I kept Simone on the line, hearing my parents go at it like cats and dogs in the background as she hid herself in the closet.

What we walked into when we arrived was like a scene out of a movie. Simone let us through the front door and all I heard was my mother crying hysterically as she yelled out obscenities at my father that ranged from son of a bitch to bastard becoming a lot more vulgar in between. Shards of broken glass plates cracked underneath my weight as Michael and I eased into the kitchen.

"Janelle, you need to go to the hospital," dad said, reaching forward to grab her arm but my mom snatched it away from him. "Janelle stop."

"Me? Stop? If you don't get the fuck out of my face James Calhoun the next glass plate is going at your face! Do you hear me?!" She screamed, pushing him back and then balancing herself with the counter screaming as, what I suspected, another contraction followed. She looked up, seeing Michael and I standing there and then Simone who had poked her head fearfully around the refrigerator.

"Dad... maybe you should leave."

He turned and gave me a look that could kill. "You and you," his finger pointed from me to Michael. "Can both get the hell out of my house okay? And Simone go to bed this is between your mother and I."

"No James. You get the hell out," my mom gritted, gripping the counter in obvious pain. "Pack your shit and get the hell out of my house!"

"Janelle I'm not going anywhere until we talk about this!" He gave her a once-over, "and not until you go to the hospital!"

She threw her head back before turning in his direction. "For eighteen years I have been your backbone. I have held you up when you've fucked up. I have been the caring and loving wife. I had supported your lifestyle, encouraged your growth, and helped you build a life for this family. I have carried not one, not two, but three of your children and you repay me by cheating on me? Get out of my house."

My dad glanced at us, Simone too, who I had pulled from the refrigerator and brought close to me then he turned his attention back to my mother. "Nelly it was a mistake," he sighed reaching for her, but her hand flew up, stopping him. "I swear to you it was a mistake."