Chapter 84: Natural Anthem

"Okay, guys. Looks like Tony's intel was right," Sam says, and I all but sigh in relief. "He found a clear route around Hyde Park, and I'm not seeing zoms or mind controlled people anywhere in Knightsbridge."

"What's the news on the home front?" Simon asks.

"Quiet as a grave around here, but like, not in a sinister way. We've sent people into New Canton. Totally deserted. They're probably all down in London and, well, that's the less good part on Tony's report. He went on a recce of Comansys Tower and it's knee deep in Moonchild's forces, dead and alive. They're surrounding it, and they've taken over the streets."

Maxine sighs heavily. "That's just great. How are we going to get through them?"

"With enormous difficulty? We've had some kind of Roufflenet ping from Pro. Downes. She's concerned about the ZRD interface. She says she doesn't know how the interface in the building could work the way we think it's going to work, but more research is needed."

Simon huffs. "Helpful."

"I know, right? We-" Sam's voice is cut off when the door opens. "What the-Milo, what are you doing in here? This is a crucial mission, and why are you wearing a headset?"

"Tell your runners to turn to channel twelve on their headsets," He replies.

"What? Why?"

"Please, just do it."

I quickly do as told, static coming through my headset, and then a voice.

"Hello? Hello? Sam, Dr. Meyers, are you there?" Veronica asks.

"I was messing around with frequencies on the headset when I heard her talking," Milo says. "She says she thinks she can help you."

"Really. How so?"

"I can see your runners coming up the road, towards the Museum of Natural History. That's where I am now. I've been conducting research at the museum since I left Abel and..." She sighs. "There's no time to explain. The sooner you get here, the better."

"What's wrong?" Maxine asks.

"Nothing yet, but we don't have much time. You can come in through the eastern entrance. I've left the door unlocked. Hurry."

"Wait, what?" Sam says, before hearing a quiet click. "No, Veronica, don't... and she's already hung up on me. Of course."

"Milo, did she tell you anything about why she thinks she can help us?" I ask, deciding not to chastise him for stealing a headset, which is a vital piece of equipment.

"No, she just said she needed to talk you guys, but needed you to turn to that channel to pick her up on your headsets," He replies.

"So, what do you reckon we do?" Simon asks. "We are on a bit of a tight schedule, what with the satellites due to align on the twenty-first, and the whole world set up to end as soon as they do. Think the little nipper's really got something for us?"

"She's fourteen," Sam says, "and one of the most brilliant scientists still alive."

"Veronica wouldn't have called us in for nothing," I say, before a sly smirk spreads across my face. "Plus, I think it would give someone a perfect excuse to look at the dinosaurs."

"Are you talking about me or your kid? 'Cause if you're talking about me then you should know I'm not that easy to bribe."

"Uh-huh. So you're saying you don't want to see the dinosaurs?"

"I never said that. I mean, if you have a second... you could pop by the main entrance and stare at Diplodocus for a minute, but only if it's on your way."