20

Ruka (3)

It was midnight when I left my sleeping bag. I climbed onto Appa carefully, trying to make as little noise as possible.

I merely jumped when I saw Zuko sitting on the saddle with his arms crossed. I didn't say anything to him as I crawled next to him. Of course I left an appropriate amount of space between us.

It was silent between the two of us. Neither one of us spoke nor moved. I was starting to regret getting into my brother's business. For all I know, I could be wrong. And this is all a waste of energy.

I could feel Zuko's body heat from where I sat - completely still. I could hear our breathing along with light snoring from the others. A few sounds coming from night animals.

When I felt fingers trailing on my mind, I snapped my head down at it. I snatched away from Zuko's hand then looked up to face him. "What are you doing?" I asked him, clearly confused. Though I don't know why since it was pretty obvious.

Zuko's eyes widened as his face burned with embarrassment. He quickly turned his head forward, avoiding any eye contact with me. "I- I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me. I'm sorry."

I slowly lay my hands down in my lap. I tried not to look down at my fingertips. I tried to pretend that I didn't feel the sparks coming out from the them. That's all it took. Just for him to —

"I miss touching you." Zuko said, almost too clear for his own good. "In the least creepiest way possible."

I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

"It's true, Ruka. I miss all of you." His voice was perfectly raspy, making it even harder for me not to melt right here on Appa's saddle.

I shook my head. "Don't do that. You brought this on yourself."

Zuko's head was in his hands. He was trying to remain calm. The slow breaths he took even helped me. He stayed in that position, which I didn't mind. If I were to stare him in the eyes, I'd break.

I look down at my lap. "I... I waited for you at the Boiling Rock. For days on end, I waited for you to come rescue me. I didn't think you really wanted me to rot in a cell." I chuckle, trying to hide the pain in my voice.

"I didn't." He said quickly. "I never wanted that."

I needed to change the subject because I couldn't break down right now. Especially not in front of him. I have to show him that even after what he put me through, I'm capable of putting myself back together. Even if it's a lie. "I told my brother about us."

"You did?"

I nodded. "It was making me build up a wall between him and I, but once I opened up, it kinda broke down. Which is a good thing."

"I'm glad... so, what did you exactly tell him?"

"That we can never go back to the way we were." Though I didn't tell Sokka this, I told Iroh. I want Zuko to know the truth.

He turns his body all the way to face me. He grabs my hands from my lap and holds them in his own. "I am begging you for one last chance, Ruka. If there's still an ounce in you that loves me too, I'll take it. I'll taking anything."

His eyes matched his tone and body language - honest.

I do still love you.

"Did you go back to Mai when you returned?"

I do need help getting put back together.

"...yes. I did. But I can explain everything."

Yet it's still not enough.

I pull my hands away. "You brought this on yourself."

>>>

Sokka finally showed up. As he climbed up onto Appa, Zuko surprised him with, "Not up to anything, huh?"

He falls back onto the floor with a yelp. Zuko and I lean over the saddle and watch him gather his things.

"Fine, you caught me. I'm gonna rescue my dad, you happy now?" Sokka asks him. Zuko glances over at me, "I'm never happy."

I hop down from Appa and walk over to my brother. "Why didn't you tell me you were going to rescue dad? You can't do it on your own."

"Look, I have to do this. The invasion plan was my idea, it was my decision to stay when things were going wrong." He turns around with his bag over his shoulder. Zuko joins us on the floor as Sokka walks over to me.

"Well, he's my dad. So I guess that leaves me no choice but go with you." I cross my arms.

"Ruka." A small ounce of worry washed over Zuko, but he covered it up as fast as it came.

My brother only nods then looks to Zuko. "It's my mistake, and it's my job to fix it. I have to regain my honor." He turns me around and slightly pushes me to Appa, motioning me to get on. He then moves Zuko over to the side before doing the same. "You can't stop us, Zuko."

"You need to regain your honor? Believe me, I get it." Zuko said. "I'm going with you."

"No. I have to do this alone." Sokka said. I cleared my throat, reminding him I was there too. "And her."

"How are you going to get there?" Zuko asked. "On Appa? Last time I checked, prisons don't have bison day cares."

Sokka sighs as he faces me. I shrug, "He got us there." I look down at Zuko, "What do you have in mind?"

"We'll take my war balloon." Zuko walks off. Sokka and I hop down from Appa and follow him.