Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Julia's POV     

I take my time to put on my clothes and get ready for the day after showering. The word that Max wrote on my forehead is still there. It hasn't faded, mainly because I was too hurt to wash it off.

Slut.

Maybe it is true. I don't know. I'm such an idiot for everything I've done, but I don't care anymore. I just want to finish and get out of this place. I don't care who knows or believes I am a slut.

I walk out the bathroom and then grab my bag and leave. Diana has already left because she wanted to get breakfast before class but I can't even think about eating right now. It will just make me feel even more nauseous than I already am.

People stare at me as I walk in the direction of my history class. Some of them stare at me with disgust, probably because they know how the word got there, and others stare with confusion and shock over the fact that I have left the word on me.

I see Max and he glances up at me, and when he realises that I haven't wiped the word off, his eyes widen. He steps onto the opposite side of the school, to me, and pushes me into a corner where nobody else will see us.

"What the hell are you doing, Julia? You're embarrassing yourself."

He uses the sleeve of his shirt to wipe away the word and I struggle to move out of his grip. He is much stronger than me so my efforts become pointless.

I don't reply to his question and simply stare ahead as if he doesn't exist. I don't want anything to do with him anymore.

"Listen, I'm sorry—"

"I get why you did what you did," I cut him off. "You wanted revenge and wanted me to feel what you felt."

"Yeah, but—"

"Well, I felt it, Max. I felt all that pain that you went through. I felt everything and I'm over it. I'm over you. I'm the one who is sorry and I'm done. I just want to get out of this place, so leave me alone."

"Yeah, I was planning on leaving you alone, but why would you leave that word there?"

"Why do you care?" I spit, leaning away from him, even though he is basically pressed against me.

"Because, it's... it's not true."

"You put it there."

"I wanted to hurt you. You wrote that you hate me on my forehead. I just wanted to write something that would be just as painful to you."

"Well done, Max. Is that what you want to hear? What more do you want from me?"

"I-I want you to—" he stops himself and glances away, then steps back and puts some space between us. "I want you to realise that I love you. I can't believe I still doeverything after everything, but I do.

I stay silent and stare at him. His thoughts are written all over his face and I can tell this isn't easy for him.

"No you don't," I state.

"God, I wish that was true. I wish I didn't. I used to fall in love so easily. It used to hurt so much every time that same love would let me down. I stopped those feelings when I realised it would do nothing but bring pain, and I thought that I couldn't love again until you came into my life. I fell for you all over again."

"You—"

"I'm so sorry, Julia. I thought that hurting you back would make me feel better. I chose to love you. I wanted to bring you the pain that I had felt every single time someone let me down and that was so wrong of me. I'm sorry. You're not a slut, I am and I hate it but I do it to protect myself. I'm an asshole, okay? But I am a sorry asshole who is insanely in love with you. Yeah, maybe I'll just end up getting hurt again but loving you is... worth it."

After that it's his turn to go silent. He waits for a reaction but I say nothing. What do I say? After a long pause, I say, "Look, Max... We both fucked up big time and I feel like this isn't really going to work anymore. Yeah, I care about you and you're amazing but I don't think it can happen after what we've done. It's toxic."

"Would you not be happier with me?" he asks.

I lean my head back against the wall and close my eyes. "Of course I would. You're smart and funny and sexy. But it isn't about happiness right now, it's about what we have done to each other. It's not right."

"Who gives a fu*k if it's right or not? I love you."

I shake my head. "You should go."

His head drops and he nods, glaring at the floor. "See you around, Julia."

~~*~~

Naaaw. What do you guy think is gonna happen next?

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG