36. DC and Masterchef

That saturday the whole decathlon team was waiting to get on the bus. Because I was new, and I never had participated in a competition and it were the Nationals I was made an alternate. But I was still excited I got to go and I got to wear one of those cool yellow jackets. 

Ned, Abe and I were talking about the history assignment I had to hand in the next week when Peter finally showed up. 

" Hey, it's Peter." Liz said making the rest look in his direction. 

" Guys." he greeted everyone. 

" Peter?" Ned couldn't believe he actually came 

" Hey, buddy." he said to his best friend. It was a big deal that he had decided to leave Queens, he always wanted to be ready if something happened. 

 " I was hoping I could rejoin the team." Peter said. 

" No, no way. You can't quit on us" Flash started " then stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone." 

At that moment Mr. Harrington came out of the bus and was delighted to see Peter again " Hey, welcome back! Flash, you're back to first alternate." 

" What?" Flash asked confused.

" He's taking your place." Harrington explained. His face was priceless. 

Michelle spoke up " Excuse me, can we go already? I was hoping to get in some protesting in front of an embassy before dinner." She was a peculiar girl. 

" Protesting is patriotic. Let's get on the bus." Mr Harrington said. 

While getting on the bus I whispered to Ned and Peter " Thank god, now I don't have to eat my shoe." which made them snicker.

The whole way to DC Liz made us quiz. There were all kinds of topics,  the moons of Saturn, The second law of thermodynamics. 

" Strontium, barium, vibranium." Peter answered a question. 

"Very good, Peter. Glad to have you back." she glanced at him. 

"Glad to be back." he smiled. Wait, did he like her? I felt a small pit form in my stomach. Why would I care? I didn't like him, did I? I mean, he was nice, and funny, and handsome. Oh god, I had a crush on Peter Parker. 

" What is the current standard unit of-- ? " Peter's phone went off. He went to sit down to the side of me and Ned and picked up. 

" Hello... Tracker. Yeah, it's just a school trip. It's nothing. I gotta say, tracking me without my permission... Look, it's just the Academic Decathlon. It's no big deal... And besides, Odette is here as well... Bye." He whispered the bit about me, making sure Ned couldn't hear it. 

I had to make sure my watch wasn't being tracked by Happy as well. That's the first thing I did when we arrived in the hotel and I got into my room. I locked my door, put on the suit and started checking my system. Nothing. 

When some time had past I decided to go to Ned and Peter's room.

" Who is it?" I heard Ned ask from the other side of the door. 

" Odette, can I come in?" I asked him. 

" Euhm, we're kinda..." he began but Peter said something and he changed his mind " come in." He opened the door for me 

" Thank you." I said walking in. 

" How does she know?" he asked Peter confused. Which made me smile. 

" She's euhm..." Peter struggled trying to explain. So I decided to help him out " Odette Stark, nice to meet you." I said holding out my hand to Ned.