37. Smithsonian and rescues

Now, the next day didn't actually go as planned. Peter hadn't showed up at night and in the morning we still couldn't reach him. I tried to call him over 15 times, but it went straight to voicemail. He had either, A) lost his phone, B) had no battery left or C) was somewhere without reception. Flash stood in for him, and they won the finale. 

I had never been as worried about someone as I was that day (except for my dad of course). I wanted to call dad to find him, but I couldn't. Peter would never forgive me for that. So we waited. 

In the afternoon our first stop was the smithsonian. I had never seen a room as dedicated to someone as the one of Steve. His whole story was represented in text and pictures. We all went our own ways. I stood still at the picture of Steve and Bucky. They looked so happy. It was sad to know what Bucky had gone through before we had brought him back. I wondered where they were. If they were still in the country or not. Who knows, maybe they were back in Rome. 

The next room was dedicated to Howard Stark.

I looked at the big video of him, dad looked so much like him

I looked at the big video of him, dad looked so much like him. How I wished that I could just talk to granddad, just for once, and to grandma as well. Even though I never knew them, I had this big place in my heart for them, and I loved them. 

" He was a great man." a voice behind me said. 

I looked at the person who had startled me " Fury?" I asked trying to look past the cap and sunglasses. There was no one else in the room " What are you doing here?" I asked confused. 

" Just checking in, making sure my favorite Stark is doing okay." He was never this kind.

" And now the truth." I said. 

" ... I'm looking for your team." 

I rolled my eyes " Look I don't know where they are. Otherwise I would be with them, and not on some school trip." I told him. 

" You sure about that?" he asked me. 

" Never been more sure of anything boss." I told him. He hated it when I called him that.

" I am not- you know what, fine. I'll let you know when I find them." and with that he left the room.

After the Smithsonian we took the bus to the Washington Monument. When we were in the bus we drove past a huge construction site. 

" Woah, what's this?" Ned asked amazed. 

" They are still cleaning up the mess from when Captain America took down those skycraft carriers for no reason." Michelle told him. It showed exactly why people didn't trust us. If they had known about HYDRA they wouldn't have wanted us to sign an accord. I wanted to make a comment about it, but I didn't. I didn't need people asking me how I knew all that stuff. 

When we were in front of the Washington monument Michelle said she wasn't going in. It was built by slaves and she didn't want to pay for that. I, on the other hand,stayed on the ground because I was afraid of heights, and small spaces, and an elevator was a small space that goes pretty high.

All the rest went up while we were just reading. Out of nowhere an explosion went off inside the monument. Everyone looked up in shock. But at that moment Peter arrived, dressed in his spidey suit. 

" Our friends are up there!" Michelle told him. He looked at us, a little longer at me. 

" Don't worry ma'am I'm on it." 

When he had left I ran towards the doors of the monument. I looked for the restrooms, when I had found them I tapped my watch and my suit appeared around me. I ran back outside and saw Peter crawl up the monument. If he was taking the outside I was taking the inside. 

I helped everyone that was still on the stairs down as fast as possible. When they were gone I started flying up the stairs. It took some time, but I was finally at the level where they were rescuing my friends.

I helped the security guards get everyone out of the elevator. " Just stay back from the elevator." I told the ones who were out already, in a modified voice. The next one I wanted to get out was Liz, but Flash pushed the trophy in my hands. " Are you fucking serious?" I asked him. He didn't answer, he just took my hand for me to pull him up. When I had pulled him up I pushed him away and went straight back for Liz. 

But right when I tried to grab her hand the elevator fell down. " No!" I yelled but suddenly a red and blue suit jumped inside and shot webs at Liz. She was now hanging onto some thin webs. Peter pulled her up and put her down next to the rest. They looked at each other, Peter was upside down. I expected him to say something, but instead his webs snapped and he fell down. 

" Hey! Do you know Peter Parker?!" Flash yelled after him? 

 " I'm okay!" Peter yelled from a few levels down. I

 turned around at my friends. " Woah," Flash said " It's really you." he wanted to come in for a hug but I held him back. 

" Don't even think about it." I told him still mad at him. 

" Wh-what?" he asked confused. 

" You handed me a trophy before even thinking about your friend's safety. If it wasn't for Spider-Man your friend would be dead." He blinked a few times. " You okay?" I asked Liz, she nodded. " Good, now to clear things up." I said looking at Flash again " We do know Peter. And if I hear you made one stupid joke about him again. I'll personally push you down an elevator shaft. Understand?" 

He swallowed hard " Yes ma'am." he said scared and impressed. 

When we were all on the ground again I saw the authorities pull up. Of course, Everett Ross was one of them. Why was he even in DC? 

I wanted to fly off but Ned stopped me " Wait Flashlight." he said. I turned around at him " Thank you." I nodded and flew off.