Chapter 8

I looked up at Eric - my eyes wide.

"What??" I finally managed to choke out.

"My father...why was he chasing you in your fear landscape?" He said again, slightly more stern.

"I don't know....I've never seen him before! I swear!"

"That's impossible...your fear landscapes will only show faces if you have seen them before - even if it is in the deepest part of your unconcious.

I looked down. I had no idea when I could have seen his dad before. Nothing made sense right now.

"Aria please...think" Eric said - he looked so worried "Who was the other man? Do you remember? This looked more like a memory than a fear"

"Eric...I don't know. I have nightmares like this all the time but I have never seen his face before today."

He looked down, defeated and let go of my hand. "Ok..." He mumbled. "You can go"

I looked at him. "Eric...what is it?"  He sighed.

"Not here...follow me, but stay a few steps behind." He said and left the room.

I got up, confused and followed behind him. We walked through the corridor until we climbed some steps and came to a doorway. Eric took out some keys and opened the door.

Was this his apartment? He threw his jacket over the back of a black sofa and I looked around and gathered that it was.

"Eric - what's going on?" I asked quietly. I didn't want to make him mad...not when I was alone with him and he still freaked me out a bit.

"Sit down" he said, nodding towards the sofa.

I did as he said and he sat beside me.

He took a deep breath - he was really scaring me now

"Ok...years ago when I was still a kid, we heard about someone from Amity dying in a farming accident...apparently he had been hurt by some machinery or something. But one night my parents were arguing and I had been sat at my doorway, listening to them. My dad said something about it not being an accident and he knew that a girl had seen something...and then this guy had come and he had killed him...I don't really know much more but as I got older I gradually began to piece together the puzzle. Aria I think that guy was your dad...I remember hearing his name mentioned more than once. And I think your dreams are actually a memory which you blanked out...people say kids can do that...like when something bad has happened they just blank it out and push it to the deepest part of their mind."

"My brother said someone from Dauntless was connected to my dad's death...not Erudite..." I mumbled...trying to make sense of it all.

"My father had access to all of the different faction's clothing. He worked in the tailoring area of Erudite..."

I stared at him...why was he saying these things? This can't be right...could it? Could Eric really be the son of a murderer? A murderer who killed my dad and tried to kill me for some reason?? This wasn't happening. My eyes began to blur as tears filled them.

Eric looked at me worriedly...obviously not expecting my silent response.

"Aria..." he muttered and put his hand on my back. The warmth of his touch burned my skin and I flinched away.

He looked at me hurt. "Please...Aria I never thought it was all true until I met you and saw your fear landscape. I thought I had just put it all together wrong. That's what I always told myself."

My eyes flicked from left to right. "I...I have to go.." I stood up.

"Aria...please..." Eric said and grabbed my wrist.