Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Well, that's that on that," you said numbly as you began putting pieces away. It seemed like it was obvious that Dianna was going to win for most of the game, but then Quince surprised you both by buying you both out and ultimately crushing you. Dianna had already stormed off, but not without bidding you farewell and flipping Quince off.

"Aw, don't be sad, (y/n). You played a good game," Quince patted your head. It didn't comfort you. You were defeated.

"I went bankrupt first, Quince. You killed my wallet in this game. Even in death, I can't escape the hell that is capitalism," You sighed. You didn't actually care that much, you were just being melodramatic for the humor. You were glad when he laughed. "Anyway, I'm going to cook something with Jason, I think," You spoke while putting the game away.

"Mind if I tag along?" Quince asked while standing next to you. "It's odd how much Jason likes being around you."

"I don't mind if you come. Odd how?"

"I've just never seen such an interesting turn of events, that's all," Quince smiled. His words were vague and sort of frustrating. It seemed as if Quince knew a lot more than you thought he did, but who knows for sure? You stood in front of him, waiting for him to continue, and he placed a hand on your cheek, "Life is hard, (y/n). It's really hard, but I think it's going to be harder for you. You should come find me and tell me if you want to escape it all."

Your brows furrowed. What was he talking about? "But I'm dead—"

"You know what I mean."

"But why is it going to be hard, what are you talking about? This is the easiest existence I've had all my life," You looked at him. His hand was warm on your face, and his expression was just as tender.

"I'll tell you more when I can. Just don't forget that if you are ever afraid, you can count on me. It's all going to be okay," He smiled one last time before dropping his hand and walking towards the door. After a moment of hesitation, you followed him and headed to the kitchen. That was... weird.

Jason was already waiting for you, which you were thankful for. "I thought we could make something simple, is that okay?" His words were a welcome distraction from your thoughts.

"Yeah, sounds good. I brought Quince along," you smiled while you walked toward the counter. You barely noticed it, but you saw Jason frown at Quince. I guess he really doesn't like cooking with other people. But then... We've cooked with people around before—we've cooked with Quince around before even. Ugh, nevermind. I'm getting too into my thoughts. You shook your head and returned your attention to the kitchen.

"How about some bread? Making bread always relaxes me," Jason suggested as you walked closer to read the cookbook along with him. You nodded at the suggestion. Bread sounded good.

"(y/n), You're pretty friendly with almost everyone here," Quince spoke. You turned to look at him, but you weren't sure how you were supposed to respond to that.

"Yeah, I mean. Why wouldn't I be?" You were confused. He was confusing.

"Well, doesn't it get exhausting?" He shrugged. "I'm worried you get spread a little thin is all."

You turned back to Jason, who had already gotten out ingredients, "Not really. I like talking to people. I guess sometimes I get tired and I feel worn out, but I'm okay." As you said the words, you realized you were a little tired. It was one person after another. At the same time, you also loved this! You wanted to be with these people, even if you were tired. Besides, one person isn't too much. You decided you were going to just stop thinking about what Quince was on about. He was probably just being considerate, but you didn't want to engage right now.