‡ Chapter 28 ‡

Thanks for the help! I had a great time in Paris and sorry for the late update. I just came back from New York last night :)

I appreciate all these reads, votes and comments.  Thank you everyone!

This chapter is something that reminded me why I wrote this story and I hope it reveals my writing potential because I am working hard on this part.  It scares me how close we are to the end and how far I’ve come, but I can’t wait to start the sequel with my favourite readers (YOU!!)

+++

My parents promised me dreams come true. 

But they forget dreams were nightmares too.

I once wanted to cuddle with a child.  My love would envelope them, no matter what size, shape or colour they were.  We’d lie next to a strong man who’d love me, no matter what size, shape or colour I was.  His arms would protect my small frame as the three of us drifted asleep; under safe haven and warm bed sheets.  I wanted that.  Oh, so terribly bad.  At last it was mine. 

But whenever my treasure rested among my hands, it never lasted.  Tragedy was never far from happiness, the light kidnapped by selfish darkness. 

Stolen by nightmares.

The children.  In glass tubes, wires suffocating their ringed throats.  Needles prodded into their bruised skin.  Chemicals intoxicating their helpless bodies, rotting bones from the inside and shrivelling their skin.  Knives slicing and poking into red mud.  More colours shooting into the blood stream, legs jerking, arms snapping, infants screaming.  Tears escaping rash cheeks, flying across sticky necks.  Innocent bodies torn to flesh.  Pale Beauty strapped to a table, helpless sobs pouring out.  The scientist peering and flicking at the needle.  Levi and the Council watching behind.  Watching.  Just. Watching. 

With.

No.

Hesitation.

No.

Emotion.

No.

Guilt.

Time dragged.  The scientist hovered over Pale Beauty.  The needle was three inches from her neck.  Two.  She whimpered.  One.  The deadly silver sunk into her neck.  She squirmed, the chains trembling to restrain the twitching child.  Yellow foam gurgled out her pink lips and her neck cracked back, a terrified scream leaving her mouth.  Her eyes swirled green. Orange.  Blue. Yellow.  Red.

Black. 

“Who’s next, darling?” Levi’s voice echoed towards the child. 

Foam dripped off her sudden fangs. Lips red. Plump.  Tongue latching out, licking across to taste the foam.  Her demon eyes glared at me.  “She’s next.”

“No!”  I burst awake and found Romane holding my arms to the bed, knees restricted under his. 

“Wildcat, it was only a dream,” he said breathlessly. 

My head swerved to the Pale Beauty who stared impassively, crystal eyes empty of emotion.  Watching.  Just.  Watching.  Levi’s eyes appeared and I screamed, but the Pale Beauty’s hand stopped it from leaving.  She placed her other finger to her lips.  “Shhhh....”  She pointed to the other children soundlessly asleep in the nursing room.  I meekly nodded and she removed her hand.  “Are you okay?” she asked.  Her voice soothed my muscles, body floating back to ease. 

“Of course, sweetie,” I whispered, forcing a smile. 

“Good.”  She moved closer and planted a small kiss on my forehead.  Her lips lingered there, staying a moment longer than needed to murmur four words, “I love you, Jess.”  Shifting away, she tugged the blanket to her shoulders and drifted asleep.