: prologue :

Her heels clicked on the marble floors with each step echoing in the spacious and modestly lavish —as modest as a lavish place goes, marking her way up to her friend's office, her left arm loaded with a hefty amount of paperwork resting it on her hip once she reached the large double door of the correct room, banging her knuckles against the wooden piece. A muffled 'come in' was chanted from the inside, she pulled the handle down and pushed the heavy door open.

"Morning, y/l/n." A rather cheery voice greeted her.

"Morning, Holland." She rolled her eyes, before closing the door behind her and making her way towards the young man's desk.

"What 'ave you got there?" He pointed at the pile of folders and binders she was clutching.

"These," she said, holding the files with both hands and dropping them on his desk right in front of him. "are the files of all the deals you didn't conclude. To be more specific, all the people that owe you." She explained, crossing her arms under her breasts.

The brunette sighed, closing his eyes and leaning back on his leather chair. "How bad is it?" He asked, running both hands over his face newly stressed.

"Really. Fucking. Bad." She enunciated, placing both her palms flat on the polished surface of the desk leaning a bit forward to look at him closer. "Tom, we need to fix this. You still have a good income but soon it won't be enough. You're kind of losing your credibility as a leader." She elaborated, a slightly stern tone on her voice.

"I know, I jus'... I don't fucking know how to be... A bad guy, ya know?" He looked up at his best friend and right hand on this messed up life they lived.

"It's not about being a bad guy, Thomas." She straightened up, placing a hand over the files. "It's about control. What you want, you get. I know you're the softest man on this business but they don't have to know that." A slight smirk tugging at her carefully painted lips at the remark.

"I'm also the cutest." He taunted, not being able to hold in his laughter he blew raspberries and scrunched up his face, holding his stomach as he laughed.

"Come on, this is serious." She tried to bite back a chuckle, shaking her head and pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Alright, what proceeds from here then?" He questioned the girl once he had regained his composure.

"You either start getting tougher and begin threatening people." She observed the man's expression change to a miserable one.

"Or?" He said, hopeful that she'll bring up a better option.

"Or, you finally sign up the deal with Osterfield."

Tom brought a hand over to his chin, thinking long and hard, or at least pretending to do so. "Okay." He nodded.

"Okay, what?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Let's sign up with Haz." He agreed, glancing at her and by the look on her face he knew he had taken the right decision, she knew better than him when it came to what was best for the business, he trusted her blindly.

"Good. I'm going to schedule a meeting." She patted the files before turning to walk out, stopping right as she reached the door. "Oh and do yourself a favour, will you?" He nodded for her to continue. "Shave that thing off, you look rank."

"Fuck you." He scoffed, running his palm over his excuse of facial hair shaking his head and chuckling. Y/n crossed the foyer to the left wing of the house where her office was situated, quickly dialling Harrison's number and leaning back on her chair as the line rang, fidgeting with a heavy, golden fountain pen with her name engraved with delicate lines.

"Yes?" A rough voice answered on the sixth ring.

"Good morning, I hope I'm not bothering you. I'm calling on behalf of Tom Holland." She paused and waited for a heads up to continue.

"Sure, what does he want?" The voice sounded groggy and annoyed.

"He'd like to schedule a meeting to go over the alliance that was proposed not long ago." There was silence again, then a low chuckle.

"Alright, tomorrow night. At mine."

"Fantastic, have a—" The line was cut before she could finish "Prick." She scoffed, dialling Tom's number. "Tomorrow night at his." She said as soon as the line clicked up.

"Cool. Want some breakfast?" His voice notoriously different from the other man's on the line before him.

"Always."

"Let's go then." And he cut the call. Y/n sighed and got up from her desk, walking out of the room to meet Tom back in the foyer. "Hawksmoor?" The young man asked as he approached his friend at the bottom of the staircase.

"Why is that even a question? Of course." The girl started walking towards the front door, taking her coat from the closet and stepping outside, as she put her coat on she jumped into the man's car.

"Was he nice on the phone?" Tom spoke once he started the car.

"I mean, he hung up on me before I could bid my goodbyes, but what else is new?" She sighed, propping her elbow on the door's armrest, her fingers fidgeting with her coat's button.

"He's a bit rough, but he's good." Tom reassured her, "You'll see tomorrow when you meet him." He grinned while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Mmh, yeah. I'll see." She mumbled looking out of the window. She's never met the man before, only spoke to him on the phone, it was a bit stupid that they were both Tom's best friends and they've never met. She didn't leave the house much, there was no need. The gatherings never appealed to her even though she had open invites to every single one. When he was over at Tom's she'll be far away locked up in her room or at her flat, the constant flood of cigarette smoke and bottles of alcohol didn't mix well with her, despite being Tom's right hand there was no need for her to attend whatever party he and his partners organised, at least that was her argument against it.

"You know, with this alliance you might have to work with him too." He pointed out once they settled at a table inside the busy restaurant, coffee mugs steaming in front of them.

"I know." She nodded, "But I feel like he wouldn't want me helping him." The girl shrugged.

"Don't be ridiculous, he runs his own shit but you are fucking amazing and he's going to steal you from me, I can sense it." Tom commented, taking a sip of his coffee.

"I doubt that and even if it happened, I'll never leave you." She looked him straight in the eyes.

"Oh, darling. You're so sweet." He cooed, placing a hand on his chest and giving her a beautiful smile.

"Yeah, your dumb ass wouldn't survive in here without me so..." She half kidded, a mischievous grin took over her pretty face.

"Bitch." The young man gasped feigning offence. "Yeah, fair enough." He disclosed after a few seconds of silence.

"But really, Tom. This is good for the business, I'm proud of you for making the right decision." She praised him, leaning to place a hand on top of his and rubbing her thumb over it.

"It's all because of you, love. I'd really be dead if it wasn't for you." He sighed, grabbing her hand and lifting it up to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on her knuckles.

"To taking over London." She raised her mug of steaming coffee.

He nodded letting go of her hand and doing just the same. "To taking over London" the man softly clashed the mugs together then brought it back to his lips and took a sip.