38. Stargazing

" What the hell happened?" I asked Peter on the way back. He, Ned and I were sitting in the back of the bus. 

" I was locked in some kind of warehouse." he whispered back. 

" Let's just make sure my dad doesn't find out about this." I told him, he nodded. Ned was still questioning him about how the 'glowy thing' had exploded.

Back home everything was going it's usual way. We went for the check-up, Rhodey was training, dad was working and Vision was... I actually had no idea what he did besides trying to cook. 

I talked about how cool the hotel was and how we had won. 

" What about the Smithsonian?" dad asked. 

I looked up " What about it?" I asked, wondering if he meant Fury's little visit. 

" Did you like it?" he asked casually. 

" Oh yeah," I smiled " Grandpa's part was very interesting." I had learned a lot about him that I didn't know before. About where he lived and how he was a pilot. 

Vision had made some pizza that was actually quite good, he was improving. After that we all went our own ways. For the rest of the night I reread my History report and watched tv.

The next day of school was filled with Spider-Man and Flashlight news. Peter had apparently gotten detention. The day went by pretty fast, nothing special happened. That afternoon when I had just finished my homework the doorbell of the facility rang. Which was curious, almost no one used it. 

I opened the door " Peter?" I asked confused to why he was at the compound. " What are you doing here?" I asked confused.

" I invited him." dad said walking up to him and welcoming him inside. 

" Why?" I asked him a bit suspicious, he didn't just casually invite people, he never did. 

" Just catching up with the newbie. Hey how was DC Peter?" 

" Great." he lied. 

Dad went on to make a coffee " Really? I heard an explosion went off in an elevator you two and your friends were in." he said. "

We weren't in it." Peter told him. 

Dad took a sip of coffee " I know." How did he know?  

" I'm sorry, we were just trying to help. If we didn't some of our friends would be dead. Please don't be mad Mr Stark." Peter pleaded. 

" I'm not mad. You did a good job, both of you." dad smiled at us. Had I heard that right? Did dad actually say that? It had been some time since he had said that to me. 

" Vision made quesadillas, want to stay over for dinner?" dad asked him.

Which made Peter's smile even wider " Of course."

After dinner Peter and I were sitting on the roof, watching the sun set. " Soo, what are we gonna do about those bad guys?" I asked him taking a sip from the homemade ice tea Vision had made. 

" One of those guys from the night of the party, Aaron Davis, he lives in Queens. I'm interrogating him soon." he said drinking from his ice tea as well. It was silent for a moment " Do you miss them?" he suddenly asked. 

I nodded " Every day. I just wished that Steve had left me a letter like he did for dad. He didn't even let me read it." 

" As long as they don't find them they're good right?" he asked. 

I nodded again " Yeah."

 After talking about school for some time the sun had sat. Peter got up and said " I really have to go now. I told May I'd be home by 8." 

" See you tomorrow." I said. 

" See you tomorrow." he answered and swinged down the building.

It had been a while since I had layed on the roof. I had been so distracted with school and those criminals that I hadn't thought about what happened much. Sure, I missed them, but I was also glad that they hadn't been found yet. All I wanted was a letter, telling me they were fine and a phone number so I could call them. I missed their voices, their jokes, their friendship, home wasn't the same without them there.