Pokeshipping: How to get a girlfriend

Misty Williams was putting the sauce on her spaghetti dish when she heard the slam of her apartment's door. She knew exactly who her guest was so she didn't bother getting her attention away from her dinner.

"Anything to eat?"

Ash Ketchum was a very good and old friend of Misty. Having been to the same university, they've also lived together for a few years before Ash got his own apartment three months ago because this one was hours away from his new workplace.

Though, he hasn't given the key back to Misty yet. "I really need that key, Ash."

"Is there some left for me?" He gestured to the pot on the stove.

"No. I wasn't expecting you." Misty crossed her arms over her chest. "Didn't you say you had a date tonight?"

"Yes." Ash stood against the counter. He was wearing a marine blue suit he wears to work.

"And how was it?"

"She didn't show up."

"What?" Misty sounded surprised.

"Yeah. I waited for two hours. I don't care if she's there right now."

"I don't think she's there, honey." Misty sighed. She put her hands on her hips. "She could have called! What an idiot."

"I wasn't that interested anyway." Ash shrugged. He opened the first button of his shirt and loosened it a bit. "I guess I was only trying to find something to do tonight."

"Weren't you trying to find a girlfriend, by any chance?" Ash has been single for more than three years now. He's never had a steady girlfriend before. Misty wasn't sure if it was him or the girls he's been with.

The longest he's been with a woman was five months, and that one particular woman has dumped him because, back then, he 'lived with a woman' (Hint: Misty). Ash didn't seem to be bothered by it. He shrugged it off, moved on.

"Yeah." Ash sat on the kitchen table. "Well, tell me how."

"Huh?" Misty turned around.

"Tell me how to get a girlfriend." Ash smiled. "Rudy was with you for five years. What did he do to make you stay with him for five years?"

"Rudy cheated on me, Ash."

"Yeah, but he's done things the right way for five years before he decided to be stupid and cheat on you with a woman who isn't even as half good as you."

Misty was taking this very seriously. She put her spaghetti dish aside. "Who said he never cheated before I caught him?"

Ash took out his phone and started typing. "First tip; once a cheater, always a cheater."

"I'm serious."

"I'm too." He showed her the screen of his phone. "Next tip?"

"Rudy took me for granted!"

"Don't get too comfortable, don't let yourself go, don't take her for granted." Ash typed on his phone again.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't be comfortable-"

"Be comfortable but not too comfortable." Ash typed again. He looked at Misty. "What else?"

"Ash, please." Misty ran her hand through her hair. "I really don't want to talk about Rudy."

"No talking about ex-boyfriends." Ash typed quickly. "Heh, as if I'd talk to my date about her ex! I knew this tip already. I'm a genius."

Misty couldn't help but chuckle. "Do you really want to play this game?"