16- Choices

I step out onto the cold tiled floor after taking a very needed and very cold shower after our very hot session earlier.

I couldn't wait for Nova to come back. I needed her in my arms.

I quickly throw on a pair of dark grey sweats and a navy T-shirt before heading downstairs. I figured I'd have lunch made for the two of them when they got back.

Opening the fridge, I grab out the ground beef, lettuce, tomato, and tortillas.

That's right. Tacos. Novas favorite.

As I turn on the oven, and place the meat in a pan my phone dings with a text.

Joan-Ass: hey man, I need your help getting Lacey a present. As you know her birthday is in a few days and I still haven't gotten her anything!

I roll my eyes as another message pops up.

Joan-Ass: please! I'm going to be so screwed!

Me: not my problem man, she's your wife.

Joan-Ass: Spencer come on! If I screw this up that means no sex for a long time! I can't do that!

Me: good god man, I don't want to know that!

Joan-Ass: then help me! Last year I got her a ring, a big ass diamond ring. How the hell can I top that?

Me: get her a necklace. Or write her another song.

Joan-Ass: you know about that?!?

Me: duh idiot, she tells me everything.

Joan-Ass: Okay Fine. Thanks for all your help spence.... NOT!! YOU WERE NO HELP AT ALL.

I chuckle as I turn off my phone and turn my attention back to the meat sizzling on the stove. I add in some taco seasoning and red pepper flakes before pulling out a cutting board and knife.

As I'm chopping the lettuce and tomato. The front door swings open as Nova and Hallie come inside. Nova sees me and smiles. I wink a her before speaking.

"How was it at Clare's house Hallie?"

Hallie runs into the kitchen and sits on a stool, watching intently as I chop.

"It was good Pencer. Clare has a dog, that had puppies and she let me play with them. And Mr. Carson said I could have a puppy if it was ok with momma."

"And what did momma say?"

Hallie looks at Nova with a guilty look.

"I Uh didn't ask her"

I lean my palms on the counter and look at Nova.

"Well momma? Can she have a puppy?"

Nova glares at me as Hallie squeals with joy.

"Can I momma? Please???"

Nova smiles down at Hallie.

"Hallie honey, you have to ask Spencer. This is his house."

Hallie turns to me with wide eyes. She sticks out her lip and clasps her hands in front of her.

"Please Pencer? I promise to clean the poop and feed it and play with it. Please please please Pencer!"

I glance up at Nova who has her arms crossed, and an eyebrow raised.

She wants to play that game. I can too.

"You know what Hallie. You can get a puppy"

Nova's face drops and she face pales.

I smirk at her as Hallie screams a thank you and jumps off the stool and runs into her room.