24-The Collar

"It was... It was the neighbour! He just told me he'd seen our dog lying on the road in the Elm Street." Sally screamed, throwing away the phone and clasping her head in her hands.

"Damn it! So that's why Nero hasn't shown up all day." Harry began pacing nervously around the room. "What do we do now?"

"We have to go get him. We have to bury him." Sally's voice was but a distraught whisper. Tears were running down her face.

"Okay. Calm down. It's gonna be okay. Let's take the car." Harry sighed, pulling her into a warm, comforting hug.

Nero was, indeed, lying on the road in Elm Street.

Blood adorned his ears and his mouth.

Harry opened the trunk, wincing.

They somehow accommodated the body inside with joint effort.

"And that's how it ends," Harry exhaled, wiping his eye with a sleeve.

"Oh. Harry! I just realized. Nero... Nero isn't wearing his collar, see?" Sally pointed at the body, taking sudden notice of the dog's bare neck.

"It doesn't matter now. Come on. Let's bury him before the kids come back from school. We don't want them to see this, too," Harry said, already opening the car door.

"Hang on a second. Why, it's right there, on the road. Please. We bought it for him when he was just a puppy. Let me go get it!" Sally pleaded and went to where the necklace was.

As she was in a hurry, she looked only to her right.

At the precise moment in which she reached the collar, white sporty Mercedes Benz ran her over.

Harry turned around.

In the place where the collar was a mere moment ago, now lay his wife.

Blood ran, unstoppable, towards his car.

***
A/N: Music theme song: Lana del Rey: "Born to Die."