━━ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 - 𝐏𝟑 ━━

{A//N: I was following along with the show as I wrote and I paused it at the perfect moment ^^^}

||𝟑𝐑𝐃 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕||

"She was part of some study in college."

Becky, who had now properly introduced herself to the duo, was sitting at the kitchen table with Joyce and Hopper with her sister Terry still in the adjoining room.

"MK Ultra?" Hopper had remembered the name popping up several times on the many newspaper clippings and articles they had at their disposal.

"Yeah, that's the one." Becky said bleakly, taking a puff of her cigarette and then quickly exhaled.

"Was, uh, started in the '50s. By the time Terry got involved, it was supposed to be ramping down, but the drugs just got crazier. Messed her up good."

Hopper remained leaning back in his chair, a concentrated frown stuck in his features.

"This was the CIA that ran this?"

Becky smiled and softly chucked, motion to the man slightly. "You and Terry would've gotten along. 'The Man,' with a big capital 'M'. They'd pay... you know, a couple hundred bucks to people like my sister, give 'em drugs, psychedelics. LSD, mostly."

As Becky spoke, Hopper and Joyce shared an equally concerned look.

"And then they'd strip her naked and put her in these isolation tanks."

Joyce frowned. "Isolation tanks?"

"Yeah. These big bathtubs, basically, filled with salt water, so you can float around in there." She made subtle swaying motions with her hand as she spoke. "You lose any sense of, uh... sense and feel nothing, see nothing. They wanted to expand the boundaries of the mind. Real hippie crap."

Joyce was still hanging onto every word with a genuine look of concern.

"I... I mean, it's not like they were forcing her to do any of this stuff. The thing is, though, is that she didn't know she was pregnant at the time."

"Jane." Joyce said in immediate understanding.

Becky nodded and took another puff of her cigarette.

Joyce sighed in amazement, before asking.

"Do you have any pictures of her?"

Becky gave the two an odd look.

"I don't think you guys understand. Terry miscarried in the third trimester."

⊹ ⊹ ⊹

"She keeps all of this up. Been doing it for 12 years." Becky had just led the two into the untouched baby room at the end of the hallway. She took a seat on the arm of the chair in the corner of the room as Joyce and Hopper came in and examined the room in curiosity.

"Terry, uh, pretends like Jane is real,"

Hopper approaches the hanging mobile and gives it a light touch sending it spinning slowly and triggering the mechanics so now it plays a haunting lullaby.