9.

"Guys...hey guys?" Marty said as his friends simultaneously made eye contact with him.

"What is it?" Marcia asked.

"Look...I can try and get to the car because I left my cell phone there.  As soon as I have it, I'll call the cops.  They'll arrive in no time."

Claudia slowly pinched the bridge of her nose extenuating this gesture by shaking her head, side to side.  She let out a sigh before replying. "Marty...we've already been over this ground before.  You almost got caught...remember?  We're not going to let you do this again."

"Key word; almost." Marty grinned.

"I agree with Claudia," Marcia frowned. "You shouldn't do it Marty."

"Why not?"

"Well, first and foremost, you're just going to leave us?"

"I'm not abandoning you guys.  I'm just going to the car, to call the police, I'm coming back for you all."

"Hang on a minute..." Claudia interpolated. "Call the police?"

"Yeah," Marty looked confused. "You know...grab the phone and...911."

"I know how to call the police Marty." Claudia rolled her eyes.

"Then why are so confused?"

"You can't call the cops while we're here because there's no reception!"

"What makes you say that?" Stanley unexpectedly questioned.

"We're pretty much in the middle of nowhere!  So, it's probably going to be an unlikely chance that you'll have reception or that you'll be able to get in touch with the police." Claudia explained.

"What if I drive back to town?" Marty suggested.

"That'll take like forever dude!  You're basically just leaving us to die!" Stanley said but at a higher decibel.

"Shhhhhh!" Claudia hissed.

"Sorry," Stanley apologised.

"I'm against this idea Marty." Marcia declared.

"Well what else are we supposed to do?  Wait for some fictitious individual to spontaneously arrive and get us; to save us?  You guys aren't even trying to escape with me right now so what else can I do?" Marty blurted out.

"We're just thinking of Marcia and her ankle." Claudia fired back.

"Look, maybe we can just wrap something around it and it should be good to go, it wasn't that bad of a stab was it?" Marty quizzed.

"Well...I think I might have sprained it." Marcia mumbled.

"Shit," Marty cursed.

"You guys can leave without me you know, don't worry about me..." Marcia suggested.

Upon hearing that, it was as if Marty's heart had been plunged into the unknown perils of the abyss.  He was mystified at Marcia's 'lay' suggestion.  He wasn't going to lose her.  In fact, he could bear to lose another one of his friends.  He was now very much closer with Marcia than he'd been previously.  Possibly because Todd was gone.  It would be inconceivable to ponder Marcia's demise if she was left behind.

"Are you fucking serious?" Marty raised an eyebrow. "I'm not...we're not leaving you."

"Why not?  It'll make things easier."

"How will it make things easier?"

"You guys can make it out of here, call the police if you wish and continue with your lives.  Why risk three lives over one life?" Marcia rationalised.