XX. pink as a rose

It felt like I had been in an endless sleepwalk. The images were hazy, and the noises were indistinct. My consciousness slipped in and out so irregularly that while it made sense when it happened, nothing made sense in the bigger picture, so my mind disposed of the events.

My body felt out of place when I zoned back to consciousness. I was well awake, neither tired nor weak, but my movements appeared slow due to the uncertainty to what had been going on. I was certain I had been on the couch. Yet all of a sudden, I found myself standing in what had been a gloaming living room, now became an irradiant space in a blink of an eye.

I became aware of the fact that my arms were wrapped behind my back and it startled me. I tried twisting my body but that made me lose my balance instead. Out of nowhere, a strong, steady hand reached out and wrapped around my waist before I tumbled to the floor.

My breath hitched as I steadied myself on my two feet and looked up at the unknown person in my apartment. As soon as our eyes met, my body relaxed immediately and I let out a loud sigh of relief. He felt my once-tensed muscles loosen up in his arms as he ran his hand down my arm and released me.

"Please make some noise next time before you come in." I sighed while I backed out of his arms and folded my arms across my chest. "What if I hurt you?"

Pierce cracked a smirk as he shifted his weight from one leg to the other. "You didn't notice when I came in?"

I tilted my head. "I might have. Was it a few minutes ago?" I scratched my head as my face scrunched up in deep thought. "I swear it's impossible not to remember, but..."

The man shut his eyes and he ran his hand through his hair. "I hate it that you two don't share memories." He mumbled something I had difficulty picking up.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, I asked what the hell were you two doing?" Pierce opened his eyes and it locked on mine.

My eyebrows raised. "'You two?'" I repeated. "Who else is here—"

I cut myself off abruptly as I twisted my body and found the limp body of the hockey team's captain lying a few feet away. The memories of him straddling me on the couch flashed through my head and I instantly remembered where we left off.

My blood boiled and Pierce caught me balling up my fingers into a fist as I growled under my breath. "That motherfucker."

Jeremy seemed to have gained consciousness again. He shifted loudly on the ground with low grunts and periodic moans about his head hurting. Pierce observed him in silence, while I did so with a dark expression.

The boy suddenly let out a low growl in pain and got on his feet again, his body facing away from us by the couch. I cleared my throat and saw his body freeze. Jeremy quickly looked behind his shoulders in alarm and his eyes flickered when it landed on me. I eyed him with growing disgust and anger. My patience was dwindling with every second.

"Reese's," Jeremy's eyes lit up with a strange attraction. "Did I just wake up?"

Pierce raised his eyebrows and quietly looked behind him to see if the boy was referring to someone else out the window. I, on the other hand, had already walked up to his form and in an instant, my hands gripped the collar of his shirt and I pulled him closer to my face, blocking his air passage.

Choking, he instantly cursed and ripped my hands from his throat. "What the hell are you doing, woman?" His yell was the first loud thing I heard since regaining consciousness. My eyes narrowed, unfazed.

I don't remember what happened. I don't remember how far we went. I don't know how Pierce got in here with the commotion, and I don't remember how he handled it. But at this very moment, I was going to handle this abortion-fail and there was no one in this world that could stop me.