33

Mason Maloney

I rolled over in bed when my phone started blaring on my bed-side table. Without even looking at the caller-ID, I snatched my phone and held it up to my ear before answering.

"Hello?" I mumbled in a tired, raspy voice.

"Did you just wake up?" Sam asked confusedly.

"Yeah... why? What time is it?" I asked, rubbing the sleepiness out of my eyes.

"It's almost noon. I was just calling to see if you needed a ride to work," Sam explained as my eyes widened.

I sprung from my bed. "Shit!"

I rummaged around my room, looking for my shoes, before pulling clothes out of my dresser. I held my phone between my ear and my shoulder as I hopped helplessly around my room, trying to pull a pair of jeans on.

"So... I guess I'll pick you up?" Sam said, sounding slightly unsure.

"Please," I replied, putting my other leg in my pants. "Wait, I thought you weren't coming in today?"

"I finished up early this morning so I could make our shift," Sam explained with a yawn.

I smiled at his words, but didn't comment on them.

"Okay, I'll see you in a bit," I said.

"Okay, I'll see you in ten," Sam said before hanging up. I tossed my phone onto my bed before pulling a shirt on over my head and running my fingers through my hair to tame it.

After grabbing my phone from my bed, I dashed down the stairs to get something to eat before Sam arrived. The house was empty, it usually was on Saturday mornings, and I was actually relieved that Nathan wasn't here to give me a ride to work. After scarfing down some cereal, I received a text from Sam letting me know he was here.

I hastily threw myself into the passenger's seat of Sam's car and fumbled with the seat belt before buckling up.

"Rough morning?" Sam asked as he pulled out of my driveway.

"I can't believe I slept through my alarm," I replied with a groan, resting my head on the window.

"Anyway, remember when you asked me out on a date to the movies?" Sam asked with a smirk, looking over at me briefly.

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. "Yeah?"

"I was thinking we could go tonight," he said. "If you want to."

"You don't have anywhere to be?" I dared to ask. I knew I was being unfair, but I couldn't stop myself.

Sam just rolled his eyes. "No."

"Then I would love to," I said, lifting my head from the window and looking straight ahead.

"I was thinking we should go kind of late," Sam told me, taking one hand off the wheel and placing it on my knee.

"Yeah, we probably should," I agreed, putting my hand over his.

Eventually we reached the bakery and headed inside together. Charlene was standing at a table, talking to some customers while Sandy stood at the register talking to Rachel. The two girls didn't even notice us as Sam and I walked in, too engrossed in whatever gossip they were going on about. Sam and I made our way to the kitchen and he handed me my apron before putting his own on.

"When did you two get here?" Rachel asked with an eyebrow raised as the two of us stepping out of the kitchen.

"Just got here," I replied blandly.