36

Mason Maloney

I sat on the icy cold bleachers with Bella while the two of us waited for Ross and Pete to return with our hot chocolate. Since it was the beginning of December, the nights were exceptionally cold and playoff football had begun. It seemed as though tonight there was an even bigger crowd than usual, so getting seats on the bleachers was a feat of its own. Our town was filled with excitement at the prospect of winning the championship this year, but our team would have to make it through two playoff games for that.

Bella stood up and waved over her three book club friends who she was saving seats for. I had almost forgotten about her friend Wendy who had a thing for me, but I was quickly reminded when she looked at me with flirtatious eyes.

"Thanks for saving us seats, Bell," one of the girls said, moving past me to sit with Bella. The four girls began talking animatedly about Bella's date tomorrow night, discussing what she would wear. I tuned them out and patiently waited for the return of my friends.

I didn't have to wait long before I saw Ross and Pete making their way up the bleacher steps, holding cups of hot chocolate in each hand. Ross sat down next to me and handed me a cup to which I handed to Bella, before he handed me my own.

"The line was outrageous," Pete complained, sipping his drink and quickly retracting his mouth from it.

Ross nodded in agreement. "I didn't think we would make it back in time for kickoff."

Just as he said the words, the game started. I turned to him with raised eyebrows.

"Well, you made good timing," I commented.

Pete reached over Ross to swat at my shoulder, nodding his head and gesturing for me to look to my side.

"Dude, that girl Wendy keeps looking at you," Pete told me excitedly in a hushed tone.

I didn't even have to look to know he was telling me the truth. I couldn't fathom why she had a thing for me, but I knew that she definitely did. She made it obvious.

"Not interested," I muttered, blowing on my hot chocolate before taking a small sip. The liquid burned my tongue as soon as it entered my mouth, but I paid it no mind. At least I would have an excuse to not talk to Wendy if my tongue was burned.

"Why not?" Pete asked. "She's cute."

"Then you talk to her," I replied with an eye roll to which Ross let out a small chuckle.

Pete looked at me with a blank expression for a few moments before shrugging and taking a sip of his drink.

"I just might," he said.

I surely hoped he would. It wasn't that Wendy bothered me, she rarely ever spoke to me. I just figured everyone would be better off if she forgot about her crush on me.

While I stared off into space, everyone around me stood up and cheered as the Warriors scored the first touchdown of the game. I didn't bother standing up since I had already missed it.

By the end of the game, the Warriors had scored twenty-eight points while the other team was stuck with a measly three. As everyone swarmed the stairs, trying to get out of the bleachers, I felt a hand on my lower back. I turned to see that it was Wendy.

"Sorry," she said in an innocent voice. "There are so many people. I don't want to fall."

I nodded, not really buying that the reason she touched me was to prevent herself from falling. Though I didn't believe her, I didn't say anything as she kept her hand on me and we made our way down the bleachers.