† Chp. XXXIX †

† Chp. XXXIX

 XXXIX †

___

She was 16 years old when she conducted her first successful raid.

"Holy mother of Valar." Eretria muttered, laying eyes upon the decent mounds of fortune which lay before the two. She then shifted her gaze back towards the unconscious guard who Eomer had seemed to take out in a single hit. "How long do you think he will be out for?"

"Enough time for us to fill that bag and leave this room. That is unless you decide to take your time." Eomer stated, taking a step towards the gold mine.

"So, in other words, let's make this fast." Eretria snorted with a shrug of her shoulders, removing the sack from beneath her shirt.

They chose a low scale city within the borders of Rhovanian to conduct their robbery, and although rather minor in significance, the place had good fortune. All it took was an unsatisfied ground guard and the bribe of a small bag of coins to earn directions. And upon reaching the strong hold, a swing by Eomer proved to work as an effective sleep inducer.

It did not take long for the sack to become heavy with treasure, and Eretria slung it over her shoulder, rattling as her palm met with Eomer's in a successful high-five. Large grins adorned their beaming faces, and they strode towards the exit, their spirits high with the great achievement.

Keeping clear of any bustle, the two teenagers kept to the borders of the city. With a strong heave, Eomer tossed the sack over the spiked wooden barrier, only after making sure no souls were in sight. When they exited back through the front entrance, after freely strolling the cobble walkways, the guards had no suspicions, even with their hoods raised.

"Well that was... uh..."

"Easy?" Eretria answered as Eomer grabbed for the right word.

"Too easy." The boy remarked, and his companion nodded in reply.

"I was expecting a guard chase at the least. It almost feels as though we haven't just robbed a city." Eretria continued.

"Well by the weight of this bag, you certainly have!"

The two grinned wildly at the sight of Eowyn who stepped from behind a tree, the fat sack triumphantly gripped in her hand. With wide eyes, Eretria swiftly looked over her shoulder, checking in the case they had been pursued.