10

Two days.

Two whole days passed in silence without any visits from a certain Devil in disguise. Cara had felt paranoid, yet at the same time relieved when she didn't see his shadow creeping up on her from behind. Time had been exactly what she needed to process everything and get her mind in order, and she suspected Sin somehow knew.

After her talk with Alistair, Cara had spent her days mulling over everything that he had told her. His information had been both helpful and very unhelpful at the same time.

His words had forced her to come to terms with certain truths. Truths that, like Alistair, she didn't want to admit to and had hidden because confessing to them... confessing to them would ruin her whole life.

Torn, Cara had felt restless and confused for two whole days until on the third day, she woke up with only one thought in mind; The answer that could end all of her troubles and hopefully make them all go away.

She had to face her sins.

That's why, as the morning came and her and her family made ready for the day, Cara waited patiently and tried to prep herself. She kept herself calm and tried her best to seem unaffected to her parents as they both left for work and reminded her to shop for groceries later. Her brother was off to the library to help out one of their mom's friends, who happened to belong to the church as well. She had agreed to keep an eye on Sam while he continued being moody.

That left the house completely deserted as Cara waved goodbye to Mrs Williams who had picked up Sam with her own son and then drove off to the library. The second they were out of sight, Cara turned around in the entree and looked around.

It was now or never.

With a deep breath and clenched fists, Cara gritted her teeth and exhaled. "Sin."

Summoning him had worked in the past, but she wasn't sure if it would this time. After all, he had been gone for two days, and despite always being there to pester her, she assumed he had other things to do than to wait around for her to call for him.

After a few seconds where nothing happened, Cara looked around. He always popped up out of nowhere, but this time, he was nowhere to be found.

"Sin?" She hesitantly tried again.

Nothing. The house remained deserted and quiet, not a soul besides her own to be found.

Irritated, Cara looked up at the ceiling and swallowed a few choice curses. Out of all the times she hadn't wanted him around, where was he when she actually did? Typical.

Taking a deep breath, Cara decided to leave it there. Screw him. If he didn't come when she finally felt ready to face him, it was his loss. She gave him a chance to get what he wanted and now he had missed it. She wasn't going to give him any second chances; just like him, she didn't wait around for whenever he wanted to suddenly enjoy her company.

And wasn't that wonderfully hypocritical.

Cara shook her head and turned towards the kitchen to get the grocery list her mom had left her. She usually cooked on the weekdays she had off from the restaurant, but on the days where she worked evening shifts, her mom and her divided the duties into shopping versus cooking. Today her mom was working, so it was Cara's turn to shop the food. Now that she had written Sin off, her whole day suddenly opened up to do what she wanted.