Chapter 49: Butterfly

Tapping nervously my foot against the floor, I waited for someone to open the door. They already opened the gate, so it was pretty obvious somebody would be at home.

Well, the gardener was there, but he looked at me sympathetically without saying a word, so obviously it wasn't him who opened it.

It was 5 pm on a Tuesday. I hadn't heard from Ace since our conversation Sunday night. I tried to call him twice from Sarah's phone since mine was dead, and I also texted him but he didn't even read the texts. I didn't know if he was ignoring me or he simply didn't go through his phone. I even went to the library and studied there hoping I could see him, but he didn't show up.

Finally someone decided to open the door. Hopefully it'd be just Ace and I wouldn't have to handle some member of his family when I was going to have this 'talk' with him.

What I saw surprised me to say the least. Ace opened the door quickly and threw me a confused look. He was clearly shocked. He opened his eyes wide before furrowing his brow and his lips parted slightly as if he was going to say something.

But that's not what surprised me, he obviously didn't expect me.

What surprised me was that he had make up on his face. Blue eyeshadow and really vibrant pink cheeks to be exact. His hair was covered in purple butterfly hair clips and other accessories. I tried to remain serious as I hid my lower lip inside my mouth fighting a laugh. My eyes went wide in absolute shock.

I heard tiny footsteps running towards us. "Ace, I haven't put on the lipstick yet!"

Ace shook his head rapidly and turned to face the voice. Morgan appeared behind him with a cherry red lipstick in her hand.

"Martina?" She asked sheepishly as she looked at me, her eyes widening. A smile began to curl up in her lips.  

Shit this was going to be way more difficult than I had thought.

"Hi, princess." I smiled at her, crouching down to her level. She came and gave me a hug, resting her head on my shoulder. I glanced up at Ace who was still a little bit in shock.

"You staying for dinner?" She asked with her soft voice, grabbing my hand.

Standing up, I glanced at Ace and gave him a uncertain look. "I wouldn't like to disturb, sweetie. I-"

Ace frowned again and shook his head, this time as if he was kind of escaping of his trance state. "You can stay, it's just the twins and I."

I looked around searching for an answer. This was not what I had planned before I came here.

Morgan gave me a little smile as she pulled my hand making me go inside of the house. She then began to run towards the living room and I heard her say something. I cleared my throat and glanced at Ace smiling shyly.

"I love the new look."

He chuckled without looking at me. "Yeah, I'm taking it off right now. It itches." He said taking a pin from his hair off.

"Martina!!"

There she was. Claudia came running and jumped into my arms. I picked her up and hugged her tightly.

"I missed you!" She said.

My heart cracked a little.

"I missed you too, bonita."

Ace was staring at us, clearly trying to suppress a smile, until he cleared his throat and I let Claudia down.

"Mhm, I'm gonna go remove this." He said gesturing to the stairs.