Chapter 14 - Sleepover at Gwen's

(Annabelle's POV)

I was slowly making my way up the stairs to Gwen's apartment. I sighed, she just had to be on the twentieth floor. The elevators were out of order so I had to take the stairs. Gwen didn't mention the elevator was broken otherwise I would've brought a different bag with me, like a backpack. But no I decided to bring a duffel bag. It was slightly heavy, since I had a few text books with me as well as some clothes. My phone started to ring as I reached the seventh floor. I answered it and continued to make my way up the stairs, struggling a little bit more.

"Hello?"

"Hey where are you? You're running late." Gwen answered.

"Seventh floor. Thanks for telling me that the elevator was broken." I responded sarcastically.

"Oh sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that." She laughed.

"Yeah, haha very funny. Anyway I'll see you in a few." I looked at all the steps in from of me. "Or maybe thirty minutes."

"Ok." She said and hung up. I slid my phone into my pocket and started up the next set of stairs.

--------------

I had finally reached the twentieth floor and made my way over to Gwen's apartment. I knocked on the door praying that her da-, I mean our dad didn't open the door. It's still weird to say that, I probably won't ever think of as my father. I mean I just discovered he is my biological father, I need time. Maybe someday I'll call him my father and mean it when I say it. To my relief Gwen's mother opened the door.

"Annabelle! It's been so long, since I've seen you." She beamed and hugged me.

"Sorry it's been so long." I said, hugging her back.

"Well, Gwen is in her room." She said.

"Ok." I walked down the hall and knocked Gwen's door.

"Come in!" She called out.

"Hey!" I waved as I walked in. She turned around from her computer.

"Hi. Just leave your stuff next to the air mattress." I nodded and placed my bag next to it. I sat down in a chair in her room.

"Your mom was so excited to see me. She have me hug the minute she opened the door." I stated and Gwen laughed. She spun around in her again.

"Yeah I figured she would. She's been bugging me for awhile to have you hang out here. I think she likes you more than me." She said, as she was shutting down her

"I bet you're right! I mean I am so much better than you." I said sarcastically. A second later a pillow hit me in the face. "Hey!" I shouted and threw the pillow on the ground.

"Oops I guess it slipped out of my hand." Gwen claimed while laughing. I rolled my eyes.

"Real mature." I muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!" I answered with a smile.

"Come on we should probably start on our project." Gwen said sitting back down at her computer.

"Party pooper!" I complained and got my chemistry book out of my bag anyways.

"How can I be a party pooper, if the party hasn't even started?" I squinted at her.

"Touché." I opened my book to the periodic table. "Which group of the periodic table are we doing again?" I asked.

"Group five."

--------------

"I hate projects. This is so much work." I continued to complained. Gwen turned around from her computer.