14

THE GROUP SURROUNDS THE truck as they look down at the map Maggie Greene has brought out

THE GROUP SURROUNDS THE truck as they look down at the map Maggie Greene has brought out. "We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Rick informs the group and Aria nods, her eyes fixated on the map. "Not you. Not today. You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out. And your ankle—push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody." Hershel states, looking between Rick and Shane.

"Guess it's just me. I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there." Daryl says, pointing at the place on the map. Biting her lip, Aria takes a deep breath before speaking up. "I can, uh—search somewhere too." Shane lets out a scoff, shaking his head. Furrowing her eyebrows, confusion shows on the female's face. "You? You probably don't know your way through the woods."

Raising an eyebrow and tilting her head to the side, Aria rolls her eyes. "Aria knows her way through the woods, like tremendously. She used to go hunting with our father." Andrea speaks up, leaning forward and looking at the youngest Harrison. Aria sends Andrea a small smile, surprised that Andrea stuck up for her. Well, the sisters always promised each other that no matter what they're going though, they'll stick up for each other.

"I have to agree with Shane. I don't feel comfortable with you going out there." Rick cuts in and Aria frowns, sadness evident on her face. "She can go with Daryl?" Andrea says, looking between the two men and Aria shakes her head at her sister. "I ain't about to be no damn babysitter." Daryl grumbles, finally looking up from the map. Andrea chuckles, folding her arms over her chest. "Aria isn't a baby, plus she's really quiet. So—"

"Whatever." Daryl grunts before looking back down at the map, rolling his eyes. Aria bites her lip, suddenly feeling bad that's she's going with him. She doesn't want to intrude on his hunt for Sophia but she obviously doesn't want to just sit out and do nothing.

♚ ♛

Aria gently pushes her way through the trees, making no sound. Her father would always get on to her for making any sound in the woods because it scares off all the things they were there for. So now because of his strict teaching, she's able to manage her way through anything without making a single noise. But of course, the men in the group are too scared to let her do anything because they don't think she can.

Aria had always found it calming to be in the woods, to be free. For hours, she'd sit in the woods by her home and just think—she'd think about her life, her family, everything. But other times, she found herself breaking down under a tree because of all the stress and insults built up on her shoulders.

Daryl glances behind him, making sure the quiet female is still there. He's surprised and a little impressed that she's light on her feet, maybe the men shouldn't of doubted her ability.

As the two make it to a clearing, they look at eachother before drawing their weapons—a knife and a crossbow. Daryl kicks open the doors with one foot and Aria scrunches her eyebrows together, he really do have to be extra, doesn't he? Holding back a chuckle, she walks forward behind him, keeping her knife clutched in her hand.

Keeping close towards Daryl, Aria looks around hesitantly, keeping her eye out for any sign of danger. Aria eyes the empty can of sardines, her eyebrows furrowed. "Someone's been here recently." She utters, raising her head towards Daryl. Picking up the small can, Daryl sniffs it causing Aria to scrunch her nose up in distaste. That had to smell disgusting. Aria thinks to herself, silently observing the redneck.

The sleeves torn off of his plaid shirt makes his biceps covered in sweat and grime look even better. His scraggly hair sticks to his forehead because of the Georgia heat. His blue eyes hide under his eyelashes as he narrows them towards Aria in confusion. "What you starin' at?" He grumbles, snapping Aria out of her daze. Clearing her throat, her cheeks turn bright red, lowering her eyes down to her hands.

A creak causes her to snap her head up and raise her knife in alarm. She visibly relaxes as she sees looking at a cupboard. Blankets and a pillow down at the bottom catches her attention and she makes eye contact with Daryl, hope shining in their eyes. The pair rush out of the house, frantically looking around. "Sophia!" They yell in unison, their voices echoing through the air. Sighing, Aria runs a hand through her hair, walking over towards a crouched Daryl. Peering over his shoulder, her eyes light up as she see's a Cherokee Rose.

"A Cherokee Rose." She breathes out, crouching down beside him. Daryl furrows his eyebrows, looking over at Aria. "You know the story?" He asks and she nods, their eyes meeting. "I remember reading it all the time. I — It intrigued me for some odd reason. Are you going to bring it to Carol?" Daryl slowly nods, breaking the white flower off the tall stem. The pair stand up, oddly feeling comfortable around each other.

As the two make it to camp, Aria turns towards Daryl, a glint in her eye and a small smile on her face. "You intrigue me, Daryl Dixon. You're like a book, people have to open you up to figure out the excruciating details and that's amazing. Thanks for letting me tag along." She whispers, walking away from him, feeling his stare on her back. She's feeling something for him and she's scared about it because she wants to distance herself but Daryl's like a magnet; he keeps pulling her in.