chapter 11

I opened my eyes to see an unfamiliar room. Unlike my walls that were painted gray, these were an ugly beige.

I looked up at the ceiling and didn't see the usual popcorn texture mine had. To my right was a machine hooked to my finger.

I moved my foot and soon realized that was a mistake, as a stinging pain shot through my ankle.

Was I in the hospital?

I looked to my left and found Hayden sitting by my side.

My memories of earlier started flooding into my head.

As I was running towards the door I prayed it would be unlocked, and to my luck, it was. I remember running outside but soon after my vision was black.

"Hey babygirl, you up?" Hayden asked, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

"What happened?" I asked, extremely confused.

He awkwardly scratched his head. "Uh, you ran outside and tripped over a rock, passing out in the process. You twisted your ankle and it snapped."

Typical me. How could I be clumsy enough to trip over a rock? A fucking rock.

"Oh," I said.

We made eye contact for a solid minute and suddenly burst out laughing.

"How am I clumsy enough to trip over a rock?"I laughed.

"I don't know baby," Hayden said, cracking a smile, "as scary as it was when you passed out, it is pretty funny looking back."

We laughed for another minute or two at my clumsiness.

"Where are the rest of the guys?" I asked.

"Uh," Hayden took a deep breath.

"What?" I asked.

"They're at home," he said, "We had some visitors show up."

"Who?" I asked.

"You'll see," Hayden said, "I'm gonna go get the nurse so we can get you home."

He got up and left the room, coming back with a nurse about five minutes later.

She checked everything and made sure I was healthy, and I was soon ejected from the hospital.

As Hayden and I walked to the car, I looked down at my cast. It was purple, my favorite color. I smiled to myself, Hayden must've told them I like purple.

We approached the car and Hayden grabbed my crutches. He helped me in the car and then went to the drivers seat.

There was an awkward silence for a few minutes until I decided to talk. "So, are you guys still mad about me and Asher?" I asked.

Hayden took a deep breath, probably thinking about his answer. "Look Em, I know you're gonna do things with boys. I don't live under a rock, and I'm not stupid," he started, "If this Asher kid makes you happy, I don't know why I would keep him from you. I'm not mad at you for kissing him, I'm mad at you for sneaking out. If you're gonna have a boyfriend you need to be responsible, what if something happened to you?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry for sneaking out," I said, "It won't happen again."

"Good," he said, "and I might be cool with you right now, but I know the others aren't the happiest. Especially Blake and Wyatt. It's going to take awhile for you to gain back our trust."

"Yeah I understand," I said, "Blake and Wyatt are gonna beat my ass when we get home."

"Okay first, don't say ass," he said, "and second, just apologize and don't have a smart mouth. If you treat them with respect they're more likely going to forgive you."

"Yeah," I said, Looking down. This is going to be a hard couple of days coming up.

"Hey, I love you sis," Hayden said, giving my hand a squeeze.

"I love you too."

I looked out the window and noticed some dark clouds in the sky. As we drove little drops hit the windshield.

I focused on a drop and watched it trail down the window. I slowly fell asleep, letting myself momentarily forget about everything.

The hospital must've been far from home because when I woke up the night sky had appeared.

"Wake up Em," Hayden said, lightly shaking me.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and picked me up, resting me on his hip. He grabbed my crutches with his free hand and walked inside.

Being tired, I rested my head on his shoulder, taking in his usual scent of axe deodorant and cologne.

Hayden stopped by the door and looked at me. "Okay babe, don't freak out, but there's some people here," he said.

I was confused and my stomach had a tight knot in it. I did not have a good feeling about this.

Hayden opened the door and walked inside. As soon as we entered I heard two familiar voices.

"Oh! My little girl, I've missed you!"

"Hey sweetheart!"

Oh.
My.
Gosh.

"Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?"