0.00

PREVIOUSLY, IN THE TO DO LIST

"i miss her." he said, taking in a deep breath. "and i love her."

maddie sniffed, her expression softening. "there's one more thing."

"oh my god." johnny looked away to roll his eyes. she laughed a little.

"despite completing the list, mackenzie doesn't want money for her college tuition. she's staying in pittsburg to study next year, like you are. and she'd never admit it to me or even herself, but i think she was hoping that you would somehow get together again. and that maybe, you could live together."

maddie picked up her phone and tapped out a message.

that was it for johnny. when maddie wasn't looking, he let the tears run down his cheeks. "where is she. right now. goddamnit maddie!" he stood up and started pacing.

someone knocked.

johnny froze mid-step.

maddie smiled mischievously.

johnny looked at maddie, back facing the door.

the door opened behind him.

johnny stood upright, closing his eyes and talking to himself. his voice broke. "don't- don't tell me it's mackenzie."

"it is." came a small voice from his doorway.

johnny spun on his heel so he was facing mackenzie.

there she stood, in his doorway, looking absolutely beautiful. she was wearing a short white dress that was detailed with lace, and despite the fact that she was almost crying, she was radiating beauty.

she slowly walked towards him, angelic like. it reminded him of the night she had kissed him for the first time- he had been watching her dance with his friends and he recalled thinking that she looked like an angel.

johnny was so enchanted, he barely noticed maddie slip out his open doorway.

"hermosa." he whispered, the word slipping from his lips without him even meaning to. "my god, mackenzie, you are beautiful."

"thank you." her voice was small and it wavered. he watched a tear drip down her cheek, tickling her skin.

johnny fell to his knees, and gathered her hands into his own, insanely nervous. "i missed you so much." he shut his eyes and kissed her fingers repeatedly. "so much." the second time he spoke, he was much quieter. he looked up to see the tears steadily streaming down her face now.

she was nodding, pursing her lips.

"i'm sorry. i'm so sorry for what i said, and what i did." he was almost begging.

mackenzie shook her head. she was crying but slightly smiling. "you don't need to be sorry."

"i do. i- the way i acted was unacceptable. i'm sorry." he clutched onto her hands tight. "i'll never do it again."

"apology accepted." she said softly. "but let me make one of my own."

he let go of her hands to wipe away his own tears, but swiftly held onto them again once finished.

"i'm sorry for not telling you about the to do list. to do all those things with you, and not tell you, that was really really mean- but i didn't purposely withhold that information i promise you. i was having too much fun and loving you too much that it honestly slipped my mind. i mean that. i'm so, so sorry john."