²⁶, CEMENT COFFEE

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗. . . Cement Coffee
❝ Please don't call me that. ❞

  JESS WAS IN a bad mood and it was obvious. Luke had just begun construction on their apartment, which interrupted any and everything he did, and Charlie's behavior toward and around the boy shifted just enough to where he was uncomfortable with this new rift.

  Charlie's spirits weren't high either, Lorelai was going to the spa with Emily for the weekend leaving the twins alone. Rory declared the weekend would be boring, Indian food, laundry, and she claimed the living room TV.

  In short, Charlie was going to have a terrible weekend.

  "You belong in school."

  "And cement doesn't belong in my coffee."

  Luke sighed heavily, taking the mug from Charlie who was sat at the counter. It had been a long time since Charlie was anywhere but school during weekdays, but Lorelai was gone and she was upset.

  So she was at Luke's.

  "Go to school."

  "No," Charlie grumbled, "But if you want me out of here—"

  "It's here or school."

  "I knew you liked my company."

  Luke rolled his eyes at Charlie's cheesy grin.

  Charlie mashed yet another channel number on the faded remote of the Crap Shack. She wasn't thrilled about the idea of hanging out with Rory for the night, but her mom had requested Charlie stay out of too much trouble, and for once, she was trying to listen.

  Though, she wouldn't mention the argument over the remote that exploded as soon as Charlie grabbed it.

  "Are you sure you don't want anything?"

  "I'll probably end up getting Luke's," Charlie sighed, attempting to force her oversized t-shirt to keep from slipping down her shoulder. "Or making pancakes."

  "We don't have stuff for pancakes."

  "I'll figure it out," Charlie mumbled, turning back to the TV that was playing I Love Lucy re-runs.

  She thought over her words carefully as Rory placed her order and chatted with their mom. Now was the perfect time to bring it up, after all, with no mom around to berate them for the screaming that would no doubt ensue.

  "Hey, Ro, can I talk to you for a second?" Charlie asked, leaning over the back of the couch as Rory wandered in, phone in hand.

  Rory raised a brow but joined her sister on the couch.