37 - The Wolf's Honor

The DAMN COWARD fled!

I glance back to Lord Folcon's head rolling across the ground.

My chest was fuzzy with frustration at how the situation had turned out.

My opponent had been the Marquess himself, so I was elated to be able to stand against him directly in combat. It was supposed to have been a beautiful moment of two high ranking people fighting each other and inspiring the people behind them.... but he fled! Ran like a coward like his life was worth more if he was alive!

Coward!

Filthy hound!

How dare you leave your soldiers behind like that as their leader?! Unless you're knocked out or dead you should always be the last on the battlefield!

I grit my teeth in fury as one of the most beautiful moments in war was spoiled, turned muddy and filthy.

I turn ahead instead towards our guard tower. The knights should be able to take care of everything else at the castle. These gutless cowards had been routed even before I descended on the battlefield. I was certain I'd have resistance for at least ten minutes or so.

I nudged my horse to continue, leaving the corpse of the coward behind. He wasn't going to get up without his head anyway.

I take off the ribbon in my hair and ruffle my long hair with frustration. The only ones here worth my praise are our own men. They reacted with much more courage after my words than I thought they had.

I clicked my tongue. Well, as long as I wasn't disappointed with my own people I suppose it is will pass.

I scrunch up my nose. I'll let the survivors run back home like cowards after I take back the tower. There is no reason to chase them further, I have no need to massacre them considering how they're all shitting their pants while running.

---*---

It doesn't take long to get to the observation tower, but being in a bad mood I force the gates open with a forceful flood wave and rush in to kill everyone laying on the ground without mercy. We never heard from the soldiers posted here, so these guys likely surprise attacked them as they were leaving. The observation tower should be abandoned upon the sight of the 2500 enemies after all.

It doesn't take us a long time to reach the upper floors, and as I barge in the last door with the force of an adult, a sight of horror meets my eyes.

They'd kept the guards alive... until they realized we were coming.

Fresh blood slowly poured over the floor in a thick pool. They'd been stabbed and cut multiple times, as if to take their anger out on the prisoners. I feel my breath go ragged.

The prisoners had their hands and knees bound, even gagged as well. They'd been killed like that without a fight for their lives.

My stomach churns with heat that stirs my body... but a weak, almost inaudible sound comes from the side of my room. One of the soldiers is leaning protectively over a civilian woman. He's cut up as badly as the others, but a ghost of life still lights in his eyes.

Without hesitation I rush to his side and place a hand on his chest while chanting a healing prayer. I pray quietly that I make it in time and attempt to keep calm.

I managed to save one of them.

I glance to the woman he's guarding, but she's only covered in his blood. She appears to be unhurt other than bruises and... and...

My mind nearly goes blank in the middle of my healing spell, so instead I focus on making sure he lives. That he lives and explains. That he lives and continues to protect her.