「Sunflower.」Nagisa Hazuki x Reader

S o n g f i c
Warning! This one shot contains sensible material such as self harm, strong language and bullying. You have been warned.

Normal Pov.

I don't feel the way I used to...
The sky is gray much more than it is blue.

You sighed deeply while looking at yourself on the mirror. You liked school. Once in a lifetime. But you now didn't even want to wake up in the mornings. Things were starting to get worse slowly. And that only made you think of the times were everything was okay.

You wanted to get back to those times. You faked a smile and put on your uniform. You braided your hair into a side braid and took your bag. You kissed your mother's cheek and said goodbye to your little brother before leaving.

You walked down the familiar path towards your high-school, Iwatobi. "(Your Name)-Chaaaan!" You heard someone scream and you turned back to see fluffy blonde hair, magenta eyes and a huge smile. Your cheeks turned slightly warmer and you waved at him. "Ah, Hazuki-Kun... Hi." You awkwardly said, scolding yourself mentally.

But I know one day I'll get through.
And I'll take my place again.

He pouted cutely. "I told you to call me by my first name, (First Name)-Chan!" He said and took your hand. You just awkwardly shrugged. "Sorry..." You mumbled and he smiled brightly. "No problem! Come on, Rei-Chan is waiting for us!" He said and dragged you towards Rei. He greeted you and you nodded.

It was awkward for you because only Rei and Nagisa were talking, but you faked it wasn't bugging you. When you arrived at Iwatobi you quickly went to your classroom. You heard some snickers from around you and sighed. When you sat down on your chair you gasped. Then the snickers turned to full laughters. Your eyes stung and you looked at the drawing in your desk.

If I just try.
If I just try.

Your tears then started falling and you heard someone approaching you. It was James, your bully. "Oh, woah... I wonder who could have done this, right?" He asked mockingly and everyone snickered. You just kept your head low. "Hey." He said while slamming his fist on your desk making you flinch. "I'm talking to you, bitch." He said and you looked at him. "Look how ugly you are. I pity Nagisa and Rei for having to put up with you." He said and flicked your forehead before walking to his seat.

The drawing showed white flowers. (Author's note: When a person in Japan dies, in their desk they put white flowers to indicate their respects. But if a student is alive and they find white flowers in their desk, it means others want that person to die or simply that they mean nothing to them.)

When the teacher arrived, you abruptly stood up and left. You ran to the rooftop and began to cry. Why did it have to be like this? You did nothing. So why? Those thoughts swarmed your head and you just kept on crying.

There is no one for me to blame.
Because I know, the only thing that is in my way...
Is me.

You looked at the wall and punched it, the hard surface hurt your knuckles as they started to bleed. But you kept on punching until your knuckles became numb and you fell to the floor. You bit your lip to hold back a scream. You were hurting, mentally and physically. But you could do nothing. Who would you blame? No one believed you. Not even the teachers.

"(First Name)-Chan...?" You heard someone call out to you, but you kept your head low. "What happened?" They asked again. "Nothing." You muttered. "Don't lie." They said, former this time while kneeling in front of you. Your eyes stung again and you began to cry again. "Hey, it's okay... I'm here for you." Nagisa said softly while hugging you and stroking your hair.

"I'm tired." You said and Nagisa looked at you. "You can sleep, I'll wake you up." He said and you just shook your head. "I'm tired of living... Nobody cares. Not even you or Rei... I bet you just feel pity and that's why you're here." You say coldly. "Don't say that!" Nagisa screamed, startling you and making you look at him with wide eyes. "I care about you. More than you could ever think of." He said seriously and that made your heart skip a beat.

I don't live the way I used to.
But I'm tired of getting used to the day...

You then hugged him and cried some more. "I'll always be here for you, (First Name)." He said and kissed your forehead. You then slowly fell asleep. And when you did, he smiled. "You're so precious..." He sighed and carried you to the infirmary. Where he laid you down so the nurse could tend to your wounds. "Can you get her things? I'll call her mother so she can pick her up." The nurse said and Nagisa smiled and nodded. "Sure!" He said and went to retrieve your things.

He knocked and the teacher gave him permission to enter. "Sorry to interrupt, but I'm here to pick (First and Last Name)'s things. She had an accident so she'll be leaving earlier." He said and the teacher pointed to your seat. He thanked him and went to pick your stuff. His eyes widened when he saw the drawing. He clenched his fists and took it as well, just to tear it down to shreds and throw it into the bin. "Thank you, I'll be leaving now." He said and left.

So I will try
So I will try

You woke up in your house to see your mother looking at you. "Dear, what happened? Why are you hurt?" She asked concerned and you looked away. "I'm sorry..." You said and she kissed your cheek. "It's okay honey, rest for now." She said before leaving. You decided to close your eyes again and doze off.

The next day, you woke up feeling worse than ever. You decided to take the bus instead of walking and when you arrived at Iwatobi, you heard a lot of murmurs. You were confused but as you approached the school gate you saw all the swim club members holding sunflowers. When they saw you they all approached you.

"We all appreciate you." Said Haru giving you the flower.
"We think you're special." Said Makoto as he gave you the flower as well.
"We admire your strength." Said Rei as you took the flower.
"We adore your smile." Said Gou as she handed the flower.

You were speechless. Then, Nagisa showed up. He was holding a bouquet of sunflowers while smiling. "We love you so much, (First Name)-Chan. Especially me." He said winking while giving you the bouquet. You felt something wet streaming down your cheek. The swim team then hugged you.

Nagisa looked at you and couldn't help but smile more. "You're like a sunflower." He said and you looked at him. "You brighten my days with your presence. That's why I thought I should give you sunflowers." He said and you blushed. "You're perfect, remember that." He said.

You could just cry as he hugged you tightly, making you feel protected and loved. "Thanks Nagisa... I will try." You said and he smiled. And something crossed your mind when you saw Nagisa and the swim team.

'Ah, so this is what being loved means...'

Sunflower: Feelings of adoration, admiration, and love towards a person

Fifth character done!

I had this planned since a long time ago and thought it would fit in the mini series.

What have you thought about this mini series so far? I'll just do five more characters and then the mini series will be done!

Well, hope you liked it!

With love,
LovelyShadowsOfMusic ❤️