-25-

The week flew by, and before I knew it Friday was upon us. Between Brinn and her family coming to visit and me meeting with Josh, a lot was going on today.

I stood in front of the full length mirror and shrugged. Not quite feeling my choice of clothing, but too lazy to reconsider my options. I wore light skinny jeans and a navy blue sweater. That's all my closet consisted of these days, despite the spring months peeking in, the cold didn't subside. I slid on my tan parka and brown snow boots then headed out the door.

I walked into the kitchen to find Owen making himself a cup of coffee. He did that thing where he sensed me without even looking up, it was...typical Alpha male behavior. Always being one step ahead of everyone. Totally weird I know, but I was beginning to catch on to the little things he did, and in a way appreciate them.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked, his eyes shifting up to mine. There goes that intense stare again...

"Good." I walked past him and opened the fridge to grabbed the lunch Jill had packed for me. His mom was the kindest soul, she still insisted on making me lunch every morning.

"Dinner at my parent's tonight." He reminded me as he placed my medicine and a bottle of water in my hand.

I wonder if his father was going to be there. It was no secret he saw me as a threat and incompetent of fulfilling my job as alpha female. I can't say I blame him, but this wasn't my ideal life path, it was faith's...

"Okay." I took my medicine then grabbed a pop tart from the pantry.

He grabbed my hand then gave it a squeeze, his eyes meeting mine. "Relax."

I took a deep breath and nodded, "I'll try." Releasing my hand he nodded his approval.

I mean it can't be too bad, I've had dinner with his parents before. But just thinking about his father's disapproving stare sends shivers down my back.

***

"Hey guys I'm having a party tonight, y'all should come." Thomas announced as he entered the room.

"Yeah I'm down!" Esther said excitedly as I buy into my sandwich.

Their eyes drifted to mine, waiting for my answer. "I having dinner with Owen's family."

Thomas shrugged. "Come after, party doesn't start until 12."

"Yeah you can get ready at my house." Esther added.

"What about your parent's?" I asked Thomas.

"I live with my older brother and he's out of town visiting family."

Against my better judgement I agreed. "Fine."

My thoughts quickly drifted to Owen. What would he think? He'd probably be completely against it.

"What do I tell Owen?" I asked.

Esther chuckled, "Nothing, just say you're sleeping over at my place. You are so it's technically not a lie."

"You gotta learn how to finesse." Thomas said with a smile.

Esther rolled her eyes then shook her head. "Let's finish this homework before the bell rings."

***

"So what's the verdict?" I asked Josh as he studied my file for a few minutes.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious. I had waited in the waiting room for a good 45 minutes before Josh would see me and it only made my nerves worse. All in all I just wanted to get this over with and put it behind me for good.