7

• • •

Aldru woke just as the sun was beginning to set. During her nap, it seemed Hookfang had fallen asleep as well. She got up and gently crawled off of his back, but even her tiniest movements woke him. Walking over to the edge of the club house platform, followed by Hookfang, Aldru sat.

The monstrous nightmare squawked loudly, as if to say, I'm going to find my rider, and took off.

Aldru was about to fly off as well when a soft cooing sounded behind her. Turning around, she came face to face with Chicken. Although she couldn't understand what the chicken was saying, it seemed like she wanted to come with Aldru.

So Aldru picked up Chicken with her two front arms and flew off. Chicken clucked happily, flapping her wings as she soared through the air. Soon, they landed near the beach in front of Dragon's Edge. On a soft patch of baby grasses, Chicken began to peck at the ground.

Aldru, who'd never paid much attention to chickens before, became very interested in Chicken's actions. She mimicked the bird, tapping the grass with her snout, but could not find the same pleasure in it.

Chicken stood straight when she noticed Aldru's copying. She waddled over to the dragon and pecked more, as if to demonstrate. This time Aldru notice that the chicken was digging up and eating the thin grasses. Therefore, she ate them as well; they were delicious.

Aldru watched Chicken run off for a moment before returning with a small yellow flower in her beak. She dropped the flower at Aldru's side and looked up at her with a cluck. Aldru pet the chicken's feathers softly with her chin to show thanks, and Chicken cooed.

Suddenly, Aldru began to feel very relaxed. She imagined this is what her song for relaxation must feel like. But why was she feeling it?

"Chicken!" A voice rang out, followed by thumping footsteps, "what are you doing all the way out here?" Tuffnut came into view, pointing a scolding finger at the chicken.

Then Tuff saw Aldru and relaxed, "oh, thank you for chicken-sitting...just, don't sit on Chicken..that wouldn't end well."

Aldru cocked her head curiously. Ruffnut and Fishlegs then came over. Fishlegs noticed where Aldru was laying and smiled a bit, "um, Aldru, that's my dragon nip garden."

Aldru wasn't sure what dragon nip was, but she could easily assume that it was why she felt weird. With a shake of her head, Aldru stood and attempted to walk out of the small field. She tripped over her own tail a few times, and stepped on her dragging wings once, but eventually made it to the sand.

Hiccup, seeing half of the group on the beach, decided to land Toothless and see what was happening. Upon seeing Aldru on her back in the sand, he questioned, "what happened here?"

"You should've seen it, H," Tuffnut began with a laugh, "I don't think Aldru's ever had dragon nip before."

Turning his gaze back down to Aldru, Hiccup shook his head and grinned in amusement. He watched her roll back over onto her stomach and look up at him with happy, lidded eyes. With a chuckle, he told everyone, "well, we should start getting settled in; the night terrors will be out soon. Also, Fishlegs? You're on night patrol tonight."

Fishlegs nodded and everyone began to move. Aldru crawled lazily over to Hiccup and latched her front arms around his non-metal anckle.

Hiccup looked down and sighed; he knew Aldru would have a tough time getting back up to the club house in this state. "Alright," he sighed with a grin, crouching down, "come on."

Aldru gurgled quietly and hooked her short talons onto Hiccup's shoulders. When he stood, she hung against his back like a bookbag with her wings folded down and wrapped her tail around his good leg. He wasn't sure why, but Aldru had an effect on him that he'd never felt before. Even though she was a dragon, she felt completely human to him. Hiccup smiled to himself and started walking.

• • •

Aldru was in her human form as she stood guard on this night. After being with the riders for a month now, she'd become a major part of the group. Which meant that once a week, she was in charge of night patrol. Before the riders ever came to the island, there was no need for such. Aldru would sing a song that confused ship-men and pointed them away every night.

However, the riders now relied on occasional shipments and visits from friends, so the song was no longer something she could use. This also meant that enemies could now find the island, but that's why there were patrols. And as Aldru stood alone at post, she could hear something approaching in the sky.

Aldru changed into her dragon form and flew out to investigate what was coming. A quarter mile off shore, she landed and hid, waiting for the approaching to pass her. Just as she'd expected, it was a dragon. One she'd never seen before with silver scales and a deadly sharp tale. What she hadn't expected was for it to be carrying a human.

Aldru sang a short soothing song as she flew up next to the larger dragon. The rider looked to the singing dragon and smiled. "Woah," she said in awe, "that's a new one, huh, Windsheer?"

The dragon, Windsheer, eyed Aldru with calm eyes and screeched a, 'hello'.

Within minutes, the three made it to the Edge. The young woman hopped off of her dragon and approached Aldru carefully. "Does Hiccup know about you?" She asked.

At the mention of Hiccup's name, Aldru was then certain that this was a friend. She gurgled gently to Windsheer, come to the stables, and lead the silver dragon to the platform. She then began to crawl to Hiccup's hut, looking back occasionally to make sure the woman was following.

The sun was beginning to rise as the two reached Hiccup, who was just leaving his hut. But before they could make it all of the way there...

"Heather!"

Aldru turned to see Astrid attack the woman, Heather, into a big hug. "Astrid! It's good to see you," she responded with a smile.