Chapter 9

Like a bitch-slap to my hung over face, the memory of my call with Matt hit me.

It was after the tequila shots but before the dirty dancing. I was leaning against the outside wall, keeping Jake and Joel company while they smoked. We were laughing and talking about nothing and everything. The alcohol had lubricated my emotions up to the point where I was happily flirting with the boys, allowing me to believe for a little while that they actually found me attractive.

"...So, if you really think about it... Damn! I forgot what I was saying!" I cracked myself up, laughing to the cool evening air uproariously.

"Guy... Guys..." Jake seemed the most sober out of the three of us, but I was certain it was just because he talked slower. "What's that buzzing?"

We all froze, listening to the strange vibration. We posed a few drunken theories.

"Aliens."

"Earthquake."

"We've accidentally tuned into the vibrational field using the power of booze."

Finally, I twigged. "Oh! My phone!" I pulled it from the tight pocket of my back jeans, but it slipped from my inebriated fingers and fell towards the ground.

Joel caught it, swift as a panther. "Got it! Wow, Evi – six missed calls from someone called Matthew. What is he? Your boyfriend?"

"Pssh. Nah! He's just some stalker!" In the stupidest part of my brain, I wanted to appear alluring and available to the two gorgeous young men.

Joel handed back my phone. "Just as well, babe. We might have been jealous, you know."

As the iPhone landed back in my fingers, it began to buzz again. "Mate, that guy's a bit desperate, hey?" said Jake. He grabbed the phone from me and answered it.

"No! Don't!" I squealed, still giggling.

"Helloo, this is Evi's phone. She's way too busy being sexed up by two young studs to deal with any stalkers right now, so if you don't mind-"

"Jake!" I could barely breath, I was laughing so hard. "Give it to me!" I pleaded.

He twisted away from my feeble attempt to take back the phone, his blue eyes mischievous. "Yeah, baby, I'll give it to you. Hard and fast and all night loooong..."

Finally, I wrenched the phone away, and put it to my ear, upside down. "Oops... Hey, hey, hey!"

"Evianna?" Matt's soft voice sounded confused. "What's happening there? Who was that?"

"That was my new friends, Jake and Joel. They just want me for my body, but I'm okay with that." I shimmied at the boys, who wolf-whistled in return.

"Are you... Are you drunk?"

I felt judgement, and it grated against the total acceptance and hilarity I'd been revelling in all night. "So, what if I am? I'm allowed to drink. You're not my real dad, y'know." I hiccoughed, which did nothing for my credibility.

Matt paused. "So... You're drunk and messing around with other guys, when you'd told me you wanted to speak tonight. Are you trying to tell me something?"

He spoke sadly, but my fury boiled over. The happy drunk turned into a vicious one as I said, "Maybe I am, Pretty-boy. Maybe, I'm trying to tell you that I'd rather have fun with guys who actually like me, rather than talk to one who only pretended to."

"What are you talking about? I've never pretended to like you, Evianna."

I stalked away from the smoking area to the main road by the front doors of the hotel. The street was empty, so no one heard my liquored screeches. "Did you, or did you not, make a bet with the crew that you could screw me?"