Chapter 53, Vala Sapa

A/N: This is one of the longer chapters and I'm pretty proud of that

He killed her... He came into my home and committed murder.

"Read the rest of the note," Marigold urges.

I glance down at Marigold trying to peak over my shoulder. It's a bit of a struggle for her since she barely reaches over my shoulder. I could rest my chin on top of her head  and still have to slouch a little. 

"You read," I suggest, because I can't read Blake's damn note with the smell of blood in the room. Marigold takes the note and cautiously reads from the start.

"Dear Xavier and Amber and whoever else has to witness the dead body. I don't have much time for this letter, but would want to explain myself. Jane ordered me to kill Amber. As you may have noticed, I couldn't do that. Instead, I shot this innocent maid. The blood is on my hands," Marigold reads. 

We both glance at the maid on the floor. I think her name was Sarah. I feel ashamed not being sure. She lies face down on the carpet - broom right next to her. The back of her head is split open so thoroughly, I have to restrain myself from getting sick. I've seen blood and gore, but it just gets to me when that blood belongs to an innocent.

"Killing the girl was wrong. And I'll have to live with that. But see this as an opportunity. Jane will probably think Amber is dead so keep it like that. It's safest. Lastly, I just want to add that I'm sorry. Amber, I'm sorry for everything. The engagement, the way I treated you. The way I tried fixing you. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I've made bad choices, but I've always tried to help you like you helped me. I'll always care for you. Now please, get out of this town as soon as possible. Change your identity and leave," Marigold finishes reading.

"The bastard killed her... She was only workin' for a week. I still wanted to get to know her," Nessa says.

"You wanted to fuck her," Daniel scoffs.

"Can we not talk about the dead like that right now?" Jack asks with a glare at both Nessa and Daniel. "If you two don't stop, I'm spilling the tea. You can't keep secrets from a hacker."