Chapter 17

Covey

To say Lara-Jean was freaking out would be an understatement. Ever since her mum had announced her arrival last night she had been on edge, unable to sleep all night(making me unable to sleep as she kept tossing in my arms), waking up extra early to clean and put things in place-just to do it all over again.

I didn't like her mum one bit.

"Calm down Princess," I sighed, rubbing my fingers through my hair as I watched Lara-Jean wipe the windows for the hundredth time.

"Lara-Jean." She replied curtly, not even bothering to turn around.

"Excuse me?"

"Lara-Jean. None of that Princess shit. Especially when my mum is around."

I felt myself heat up, she didn't seem to mind at all when our lips were locked and her hands were tangled in my hair. I grunted softly and ran an exasperated hand through my hair.

"Put this on." Lara-Jean said as she awkwardly threw a long-sleeve plain black shirt at me.

"Why?" I asked emotionlessly. But I already knew the answer to that, even before Lara-Jean said it.

"Just to cover up your tattoos while my mum is here." Lara-Jean said, then laughed awkwardly, "you know how she is."

My eyes blazed and I couldn't help myself.

"No Lara-Jean. Honestly, I don't care. Why do you?" My voice was loud, the anger evident. My veins pulsing, my chest beating hard in my chest.

She didn't say anything but stared at me with a guilty expression written across her face. Her dark eyes blinked furiously, her mouth opening and closing without a word.

Running my fingers through my hair one more time I stomped out of the room, making sure to slam the door extremely hard behind me. I paused then and took a deep breath. Closing my eyes I leaned against the wall waiting for my heart in my chest to relax. I hated this. Every single part of this. I hated how controlled by her mother Lara-Jean felt, even with me. I had a bad taste in my mouth.

I began to walk knowing exactly where I was heading to. The past few weeks I hadn't had reason to come here-I hadn't had reason to come here ever since Lara-Jean came into my life. But right now I felt empty, fueled only by the need to get rid of the pent up aggression I felt inside.

The gym was packed. There was music playing from all around the room, the different sounds clashing together in a frenzy. I walked through heading straight into the back room, bending over, I closed my eyes. The music sounded distant and there was nothing in the dimly lit room except a punching bag and me.

Taking a deep breath I swung at it. Then I swung again. And again. I was not wearing boxing gloves but really didn't care at this point, all I wanted was a release and this gave me just that. I don't realize how long I was there oh how long I had been going for but the door opened, announcing another presence.

"Woahh, girl."

I paused panting heavily, sweat trickling down my face as Cathy Jones walked up to me. She was a Sophomore too, her brown hair was always in a tight braid at the back and had freckles sprinkling her nose. I watched as she came over, her hips moving with each exaggerated step.

"You're gonna hurt yourself." She whispered slowly then bit her lip and I just stared blankly. Cathy was a beautiful girl and I was aware she was flirting with me, but all I could think about was Lara-Jean and how I wished more than anything that it was her in front of me instead.

It's crazy. We always want someone else, never those that actually want us. It's sad too.

I smiled at her, it was the least I could do.

"Thanks for caring Cathy." I replied rather sarcastically. With that, I picked up the shirt Lara-Jean had given me which I had disregarded on the floor the second I walked in and put it over my head.

I guess this would have to do for now.

I could feel Cathy staring at me but I didn't care, I only cared about one thing right now. One girl right now. And I was determined to get through whatever I needed to.

I began making my way back to our room, a much better mood than when I had left. Boxing always made me feel this: free. My hands were calloused and bruised but I put the pain I felt behind me and quickly moved forward, determined to make it up to Lara-Jean.

I was going to apologize for stomping out angrily, for slamming the door. We'd kiss and everything would be okay.

I opened the room door with a smile on my face.

"Oh look who it is." I heard a voice say with distaste.

I turned my head to see Lara-Jean's mum poised with her hands on her waist, literally eye balling me.

Oh shit, I forgot all about her.